Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John John is offline

Default How to change the characteristics of the Increase Indent button on the Formatting toolbar

Word 2003 Office SP2

I am unclear about where I change the characteristics of the Increase Indent
button on the Formatting toolbar.

According to the Word help, clicking the Increase Indent button "increases
the indent by one tab stop (tab stop: A location on the horizontal ruler
that indicates how far to indent text or where to begin a column of text.).
If you want to change the position of the indent, you can first set a
different tab stop."

I created a paragraph style called MyStyle based on Normal.
I set the tabs to be at 3" and 5".
I see the 3" and 5" tabs in the ruler.
I pressed Increase Indent but the result is
MyStyle + Left: 0.5"
MyStyle + Left: 1"

Why isn't it 3" and 5"?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The indents are by the amount of the "Default tab stop" as is set under the
FormatTabs dialog.

You should probably define the indents that you want in the Style that you
are using.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"John" wrote in message
Word 2003 Office SP2

I am unclear about where I change the characteristics of the Increase
Indent button on the Formatting toolbar.

According to the Word help, clicking the Increase Indent button "increases
the indent by one tab stop (tab stop: A location on the horizontal ruler
that indicates how far to indent text or where to begin a column of
text.). If you want to change the position of the indent, you can first
set a different tab stop."

I created a paragraph style called MyStyle based on Normal.
I set the tabs to be at 3" and 5".
I see the 3" and 5" tabs in the ruler.
I pressed Increase Indent but the result is
MyStyle + Left: 0.5"
MyStyle + Left: 1"

Why isn't it 3" and 5"?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I have Ctrl+M assigned to something else so I can't test with left indents,
but when I set tabs in a paragraph, Ctrl+T did give me hanging indents at
the places where I had tabs set (without changing the default tab interval).

"John" wrote in message
Word 2003 Office SP2

I am unclear about where I change the characteristics of the Increase
Indent button on the Formatting toolbar.

According to the Word help, clicking the Increase Indent button

"increases
the indent by one tab stop (tab stop: A location on the horizontal ruler
that indicates how far to indent text or where to begin a column of
text.). If you want to change the position of the indent, you can first
set a different tab stop."

I created a paragraph style called MyStyle based on Normal.
I set the tabs to be at 3" and 5".
I see the 3" and 5" tabs in the ruler.
I pressed Increase Indent but the result is
MyStyle + Left: 0.5"
MyStyle + Left: 1"

Why isn't it 3" and 5"?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John John is offline

Doug - Thank you for the feedback.

You clarified the problem. The Increase Indent is set in the "Default tab
stop" in the FormatTabs dialog. This is the only place it can be set since
the Tab dialog of the modify Style dialog does not have a "Default tab stop"
setting. Moreover, the "Default tab stop" is a global setting which applies
to all styles.

The Microsoft help for "indent paragraphs" does not specify that it is the
"Default tab stop" in the FormatTabs dialog which you must set. It says "If
you want to change the position of the [increase] indent, you can first set
a different tab stop."

Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Terry

But...

The Increase Indent button does not increase the indent at all when the
paragraph in question is in a style that is part of a List Template. So, for
example, if you set up your headings styles (Heading 1 to Heading 9) as an
outline numbered list, then clicking the indent button in a Heading 1
paragraph applies Heading 2 style, which may or may not be indented. In this
case, tab settings don't affect the behaviour of the Increase Indent button.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word