Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tracy Tracy is offline

Default How to stop caps after !

hello,

i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want the
letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will work.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Why do you hate caps? They make prose so much more readable. Your own
question would be much more readable if you had used them. Also, overuse of
! reduces readability. I'm not being funny here -- surely a writer hopes to
be read readily!

"Tracy" wrote in message
hello,

i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want the
letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will work.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I've learned to delete anything that has an overabundance of exclamation
points.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Tracy" wrote in message
hello,

i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want the
letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will work.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Yes, when editing I always trim down multiples too. "Ridiculous!!!!!"
exclaim some authors... Mind you, I usually cant bother with people who
never use caps grammatically but i suspect i am fiting a losing battle i'm
the first to admit though that grammar and spelling is merely convention but
the commonality of it improves readability.

"Tracy" wrote in message
hello,

i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want the
letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will
work.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

But if you want to write, "The problem, alas!, is..." you don't want caps.
Or if you're writing about Yahoo! or the stage play Oklahoma! or any of the
other titles that end in exclamation marks...

"Tracy" wrote in message
hello,

i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want the
letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will

work.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tracy Tracy is offline

hi suzanne,

yep, i tried that before posting the question.
the exceptions option does not accept the !.
once i type in the !, the "add" button is disabled.
i plan to snoop around the registry to see if i can find the exception list.
thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Have you tried making an exception (Tools | AutoCorrect Options)?
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Tracy" wrote in message
: ...
: hello,
:
: i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want the
: letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
: i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will
work.
: any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:
: thank you.
: --
:
: Tracy
: * * * * * * * * * *
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tracy Tracy is offline

it's not that i hate caps.
in the document in question, it is more of a problem having words after the
! in caps automatically.

as for my composing emails in all lower case, it is much easier.
perhaps if on an average day i didn't send around 100 emails, i would
probably take the time to use proper upper/lower case letters.

--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

"aalaan" wrote in message
: Why do you hate caps? They make prose so much more readable. Your own
: question would be much more readable if you had used them. Also, overuse
of
: ! reduces readability. I'm not being funny here -- surely a writer hopes
: be read readily!
:
: "Tracy" wrote in message
: ...
: hello,
:
: i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want the
: letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
: i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will
work.
: any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:
: thank you.
: --
:
: Tracy
: * * * * * * * * * *
:
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tracy Tracy is offline

that's fine, but i am doing this at the clients request.
it's only one ! after one word.
if you saw the document, you would understand.

--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
: I've learned to delete anything that has an overabundance of exclamation
: points.
:
: --
:
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
:
: ~~~~~
: How to ask a question
: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
:
:
:
:
: "aalaan" wrote in message
: ...
: Why do you hate caps? They make prose so much more readable. Your own
: question would be much more readable if you had used them. Also, overuse
: of ! reduces readability. I'm not being funny here -- surely a writer
: hopes to be read readily!
:
: "Tracy" wrote in message
: ...
: hello,
:
: i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want
the
: letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
: i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will
work.
: any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:
: thank you.
: --
:
: Tracy
: * * * * * * * * * *
:
:
:
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tracy Tracy is offline

exactly suzanne.
thank you for "getting it" and not jumping the gun assuming that i don't
know what i'm doing.

--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: But if you want to write, "The problem, alas!, is..." you don't want caps.
: Or if you're writing about Yahoo! or the stage play Oklahoma! or any of
the
: other titles that end in exclamation marks...
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "aalaan" wrote in message
: ...
: Why do you hate caps? They make prose so much more readable. Your own
: question would be much more readable if you had used them. Also, overuse
: of
: ! reduces readability. I'm not being funny here -- surely a writer hopes
: be read readily!
:
: "Tracy" wrote in message
: ...
: hello,
:
: i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not want
the
: letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
: i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that will
: work.
: any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:
: thank you.
: --
:
: Tracy
: * * * * * * * * * *
:
:
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As this is only one Word, it will be fairly simple to change the case of the
following letter to lower case using a macro. The following will change the
case of any word that you enter in the dialog box which is followed by an
exclamation mark and either a space, a tab, a paragraph mark or a line
break. If there are any other possibilities they can be added. Enter the
Word *without the exclamation mark* in the dialog box when prompted. The
macro will insert the exclamation mark. This function uses a wildcard search
so the chosen Word will be case sensitive. If it is spelled with different
cases, then you will have to search each separately

Sub ChangeCaseOfNextLetter()
Dim strFind As String
On Error GoTo UserCancelled:
strFind = InputBox("Enter the word to be searched for." _
& vbCr & "Omit the exclamation mark." _
& vbCr & vbCr & "NOTE: Search is case sensitive.", _
"Change following letter to Upper case", "Replace this with the word")
If strFind = "" Then GoTo UserCancelled:
strFind = strFind & "\![ ^13^l^t]{1,}[A-Z]"
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
Do While .Execute(findText:=strFind, _
Wrap:=wdFindContinue, Forward:=True, _
MatchWildcards:=True) = True
With Selection
.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, _
Extend:=wdExtend
.Range.Case = wdLowerCase
End With
Loop
End With
UserCancelled:
End Sub

"Tracy" wrote in message
hello,

i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not
want the letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that
will work. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Oops! 'change the case of any word that you enter in the dialog box' should
read change the case of any word 'which follows that you enter in the dialog
box'

"Tracy" wrote in message
hello,

i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not
want the letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that
will work. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tracy Tracy is offline

thank you graham,
i will give it a try.
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

[...]
: http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
: Tracy wrote:
: that's fine, but i am doing this at the clients request.
: it's only one ! after one word.
: if you saw the document, you would understand.
:
:
: "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
: ...
: I've learned to delete anything that has an overabundance of
: exclamation points.
:
: --
:
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
:
: ~~~~~
: How to ask a question
: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
:
:
:
:
: "aalaan" wrote in message
: ...
: Why do you hate caps? They make prose so much more readable. Your
: own question would be much more readable if you had used them.
: Also, overuse of ! reduces readability. I'm not being funny here --
: surely a writer hopes to be read readily!
:
: "Tracy" wrote in message
: ...
: hello,
:
: i am creating a document that will have a lot of ! and i do not
: want the letter after the ! to automatically be a cap.
: i've look at the auto correct options, but do not see one that
: will work. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:
: thank you.
: --
:
: Tracy
: * * * * * * * * * *
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

"Tracy" wrote in message
..
... as for my composing emails in all lower case, it is much easier.
perhaps if on an average day i didn't send around 100 emails, i would
probably take the time to use proper upper/lower case letters.

Understood, but IMHO not using caps markedly reduces the ease of reading,
and therefore it increases the effort made by the reader. If you accept
that, it follows that as you are busy you save time at the expense of the
readers, who may also be busy! This is like voicemail menus. The customer
has to plough through them, wasting time listening to inumerable messages,
in order that the supplier can save *his* time and money on staff! Regulars
know well enough my feeling against the "i" syndrome, and that is the
reason.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Not to mention the fact that the Shift key & the character key are used
simultaneously, so there really isn't any more "time" involved in using
proper case structure... As well as 'reasonably' appropriate punctuation.

How much time might be lost due to a recipient *not* being willing or able
to interpret the communication? Or wasted as a result of an errant response
due to their misunderstanding?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/31/06 1:11 PM, in article , "aalaan"
wrote:

.