Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sasha gottfried sasha gottfried is offline

Default Save Options

In Word 2003, when I save a document I am given choices on the left pane of
the 'save as' box. How can I change those options to reflect the most
commonly used folders? IE: I don't need: "My Network Places" up there. Other
folders would be more helpful.

Thanks,

Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc Luc is offline

Sasha,
I don't think you can delete My network places. But you can add your own
much used folders. Navigate to the folder you would like to add and select
it by clicking once on it, in the dialog go to Tools - and choose Add to my
locations or something to that effect. To see more of your folders you can
right click the my places bar and choose small icons. You can of course also
enlarge the dialog save as by dragging, or if you want it to be very large
double click the title bar.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
In Word 2003, when I save a document I am given choices on the left pane
of the 'save as' box. How can I change those options to reflect the most
commonly used folders? IE: I don't need: "My Network Places" up there.
Other folders would be more helpful.

Thanks,

Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] LeafPicker@gmail.com is offline

You can download Tweak UI from
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../NTTweakUI.asp,
MAX 5 folder shortcuts can be used in places bar; if it is not enough,
you can use Lightning Bar on http://lbar.leafpicker.com/down.htm

"sasha gottfried wrote:
"
In Word 2003, when I save a document I am given choices on the left pane of
the 'save as' box. How can I change those options to reflect the most
commonly used folders? IE: I don't need: "My Network Places" up there. Other
folders would be more helpful.

Thanks,

Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

There is no limit on the number of shortcut icons that can be added to the
Place Bar (or not one that I have reached). If you right click on the Places
Bar, you can choose the Small Icons option. The SaveAs/Open dialog boxes can
be sized up to full screen, so the number of shortcut icons that can be
added AND SEEN without scrolling depends on the resolution of your display.
However, the Places Bar is scrollable, so even this is not a limitation. At
work, where we have a large network, so there's many locations I use
regularly, I have a total of 36 shortcut icons on My Places Bar but with
only 31 shortcut icons in view.

However, to remove the 'standard shortcut icons' it is necessary to hack the
registry.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

ups.com...

"sasha gottfried wrote:
"
In Word 2003, when I save a document I am given choices on the left pane
of
the 'save as' box. How can I change those options to reflect the most
commonly used folders? IE: I don't need: "My Network Places" up there.
Other
folders would be more helpful.

Thanks,

Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Terry,

My guess is that the poster 'leafpicker' (same name as the website for the utility g) may be referring to the Windows 'common'
Open/Save dialog when referring to the limit of 5 icons on the Places bar dialog, rather than the Office Places Bar. TweakUI does
allow you to customize up to five places for those dialogs, but doesn't include a dialog for MS Office's dialog.

It appears that the postings may be based on a search of newsgroups for 'Places Bar' as content. The utility he mentioned appears
to be able to add a sidebar to the dialogs to increase the number of 'spaces' Windows supports via the methods in
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/PlacesBar.htm

==============
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
There is no limit on the number of shortcut icons that can be added to the
Place Bar (or not one that I have reached). If you right click on the Places
Bar, you can choose the Small Icons option. The SaveAs/Open dialog boxes can
be sized up to full screen, so the number of shortcut icons that can be
added AND SEEN without scrolling depends on the resolution of your display.
However, the Places Bar is scrollable, so even this is not a limitation. At
work, where we have a large network, so there's many locations I use
regularly, I have a total of 36 shortcut icons on My Places Bar but with
only 31 shortcut icons in view.

However, to remove the 'standard shortcut icons' it is necessary to hack the
registry.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

--