Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Stan is offline

Default Weird Squares

Word 2003 & XP. Occasionally when I try to open an old document that I have
opened before, instead of text I get a million lines of square symbols.

Does anyone know why this happens and can I retrieve the text? Stan

It has removed 234 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It is usually a symptom that the document has become corrupt. Has it been
save to some for of removable media since it was last edited as this is the
usual reason for corruptions like this?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Stan" wrote in message
Word 2003 & XP. Occasionally when I try to open an old document that I
have
opened before, instead of text I get a million lines of square symbols.

Does anyone know why this happens and can I retrieve the text? Stan

It has removed 234 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Stan" wrote:
Word 2003 & XP. Occasionally when I try to open an old document that I
have opened before, instead of text I get a million lines of square
symbols.

Does anyone know why this happens and can I retrieve the text? Stan

Hi Stan,

I suspect (guess) that this might also happen through a missing font, by
Word substituting a regular font, or maybe the other way round.
Perhaps check in "Tools Options Compatibility Font substitution".
And don't save a document when you see the text as squares (or only under a
new name), since once the document is saved, the font substitution becomes
difficult to fix (because Word uses a special code page for symbol fonts,
and once you save, the codes become permanently changed).

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Stan is offline

No, not the case but Thanks for the input.
Stan

"Stan" wrote in message
Word 2003 & XP. Occasionally when I try to open an old document that I
have
opened before, instead of text I get a million lines of square symbols.

Does anyone know why this happens and can I retrieve the text? Stan

It has removed 234 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 260 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Stan is offline

Hi Klaus,
Thanks for the info but this was not the case.
Stan