Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat M - City of Reno Pat M - City of Reno is offline

Default having mulitple copies of a paragraph update autmatically

If I have the same paragraph that is repeated in a document 15 times, is
there a way to make changes to one and update all the others?
--
Regards,
Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Pat M - City of Reno wrote:
If I have the same paragraph that is repeated in a document 15 times,
is there a way to make changes to one and update all the others?

Create the first copy of the paragraph, and insert a bookmark that surrounds
it. Then use Insert Cross-reference and select the name of the bookmark to
create the second copy. That inserts a field in the document that displays
whatever is in the bookmark. You can copy that field to the clipboard and
paste many times to make the other copies.

When you change the first copy, then select everything (Ctrl+A) and update
fields (F9) to propagate the changes to all the cross-references.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Or
Having saved the document in its final destination select and copy the text
to be repeated and paste special as a link (HTML format to maintain the
appearance) at each location. Changes to the original paragraph will trickle
through the other paragraphs without the need to force an update. However,
if you move the document the field paths will need changing to the new
location.

Or
If the paragraph is short, create and apply a unique character style (having
the same parameters as the underlying style - it is only the name that
matters) to the repeated paragraph then use a Styleref field to repeat it.
Styleref fields update immediately but can only contain a limited amount of
text.

Jay Freedman wrote:
Pat M - City of Reno wrote:
If I have the same paragraph that is repeated in a document 15 times,
is there a way to make changes to one and update all the others?

Create the first copy of the paragraph, and insert a bookmark that
surrounds it. Then use Insert Cross-reference and select the name
of the bookmark to create the second copy. That inserts a field in
the document that displays whatever is in the bookmark. You can copy
that field to the clipboard and paste many times to make the other
copies.
When you change the first copy, then select everything (Ctrl+A) and
update fields (F9) to propagate the changes to all the
cross-references.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

On Nov 6, 12:37*pm, Pat M - City of Reno
wrote:
If I have the same paragraph that is repeated in a document 15 times, is
there a way to make changes to one and update all the others?
--
Regards,
Pat

Or if you are using Word2007 use a mapped contentControl. See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mapped_Content_Control.htm