Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yellowhouse1976 yellowhouse1976 is offline

Default Resizing and Printing documents on US 'Letter Size'

Hi

Help needed please. I am in the UK and normally only work with UK A4
documents. I have to print some manuals on the US Letter size paper which I
understand is 8.5" x 11". I have sourced some paper and I re-formatted the
document to 'letter size' but it just wont print properly. I have made sure
that the printer is set to 'letter size' as well.

The bottom footer is really close the bottom of the page and headers on the
ladscape pages keep being cut off. I have played around with the margins and
headers and footer measurements but it still wont print properly.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

jude
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You should have come here first. You don't say which version of Word you are
using, but the last few versions have all had 'Scale content for A4 or 8.5 x
11" paper sizes' (or similar wording). Sourcing Letter size paper and doing
what you are attempting sound excruciating. All you need is to set that
option (which should be by default) and print to A4 stock.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"yellowhouse1976" wrote in
message ...
Hi

Help needed please. I am in the UK and normally only work with UK A4
documents. I have to print some manuals on the US Letter size paper which
understand is 8.5" x 11". I have sourced some paper and I re-formatted
the
document to 'letter size' but it just wont print properly. I have made
sure
that the printer is set to 'letter size' as well.

The bottom footer is really close the bottom of the page and headers on
the
ladscape pages keep being cut off. I have played around with the margins
and
headers and footer measurements but it still wont print properly.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

jude

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yellowhouse1976 yellowhouse1976 is offline

Hi Terry

I am using Office 2003 with SP3.

Maybe I did not explain properly. I have no choice but to print the document
on 'letter' as this is what my client in the US wants me to do. It's a long
and boring story but the bottom line is I have no choice.

The orginal document was obviously set up in A4 being that I work in the UK.
When i was told i needed to print on 'letter' I made second version of the
document so that it was seperate from my orginal A4 version.

I have tried printing from the A4 version and scaling it to 'letter' through
the printer settings but that doesnt work properly either.

Where is this 'scale content for 8.5 x 11" paper size' option that you
mention please?

Thanks

Jude

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

IIRC, it is under Print Options in Word 2003.

But if you have changed your paper to Letter under Page Setup and you have
Letter paper in the printer, you just need to set Letter in the Printer
Properties. Then check in Print Preview to what the printed document should
look like when printed. If the Footer is too close to the page bottom, then
adjust the Footer Margin in Page Setup. Ditto with the Headers.

But perhaps your problem is that you have the A4/Letter resizing enabled and
it is conflicting with your attempts to manually create a Letter sized
document. SO make sure that option is unchecked and that the paper size is
set to Letter on the Printer, in Print Setup and in Page Setup in Word. (I
guess that 'excruciating' is not a bad description of your task!)

Terry

"yellowhouse1976" wrote in
message ...

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yellowhouse1976 yellowhouse1976 is offline

Hi Terry

nearly there. I have sorted the footers but the headers are still playing
up. Am going to continue tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Excruciating is
definitely the right word

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yellowhouse1976 yellowhouse1976 is offline

Hi Terry

It is still playing up and I am rapidly losing the will to live.

I have done what you suggested. The document is set up as 'letter' in Page
SetUp. I have 'letter' size paper in the bypass tray of the printer and I
have changed the printer setting to compensate. When I check the Print
Preview it all looks fine but when I print the footer is being cut in two and
the header is much bigger than it should be. I have fiddled around with the
header and footer measurements but it doesnt seem to make any difference or
correlate with what I see on the screen. Even weirder the pages that are
landscape are as they should be. It is only the portrait pages which are not
behaving as required.

I have made sure I have uncheck 'letter resizing' as well so that it does
not conflict.

Any other suggestions before lose the plot

Thanks

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yellowhouse1976 yellowhouse1976 is offline

Hi

Still badly need help with this.

I have also tried using my orginal 'A4 document' and using the resize to
'letter function and that does not work either.

I have to get these printed tomorrow UK time so please can someone lend a
hand and suggest something soon

Thanks

jude

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

This is sounding less like a resizing problem that a corrupt document -
namely in the Headers or Footers. If the H&F margins are correctly set and
the paper size is set to Letter everywhere, the H&Fs should print as they
are seen in Print Preview. Either the document is corrupt or the printer
driver is partially corrupt. Can you email me a small sample document as an
email attachment?

Have you tried Open & Repair option?

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yellowhouse1976 yellowhouse1976 is offline

Hi Terry

I HAVE FINALLY CRACKED IT

We have networked printers here which by default are set to change any
document to UK A4. I was doing everything right but the printer network
settings always countermanded my commands and switched it back to A4. I had
to get an engineer in to change the setting and it is now printing as I see
it on screen.

Everyone who was trying to duplicate the problem in their own offices was
using a non-networked printer so didnt have a problem.

This is a lesson I will not be forgetting for a long while.

Thanks for your help

Jude

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Hurray! Thank heavens you found that out. Sometimes network admins need
stringing up. Why would anyone dictate that printers had to print portrait!

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

scaling letter-size office documents to A6 Reymanic Page Layout 1 September 21st 07 01:10 PM
allow a4/letter resizing Greg S Page Layout 6 September 28th 06 06:41 AM
A4/Letter Resizing Jill Page Layout 3 August 31st 06 02:31 PM
Printing a menu on half of a Letter size SteveK Page Layout 1 December 31st 05 07:30 PM
My documents are printing 1/3 their size. Nancy Microsoft Word Help 1 September 12th 05 06:57 PM