cbazoo

Default Recover deleted document - URGENT - student

I'm probably sunk, but my daughter was deleting items off her school issue
floppy to make more room to save the report she worked on all
night......yeah, she ddleted the good version........any way to
recover/restore.........I can find it in the recyclee etc
Don't laugh at me please....word 97 running on ME.......desperate high
school freshman.......
Pat Garard

G'Day Cbazoo,

Nobody's laughing!

It's probably gone!

However......there are a number of "Undelete" programs that might
recover it from the floppy IF nothing has been stored on the floppy
since.

Search Google for "undelete", and you will find a few - some have a
free trial.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"cbazoo" wrote in message
I'm probably sunk, but my daughter was deleting items off her school
issue
floppy to make more room to save the report she worked on all
night......yeah, she ddleted the good version........any way to
recover/restore.........I can find it in the recyclee etc
Don't laugh at me please....word 97 running on ME.......desperate
high
school freshman.......

In addition to what Pat has said, give your daughter this vital advice:
Never work from a floppy in Word. Do not save to a floppy; do not open from
a floppy. Ever. This is the quickest road to file corruption. Always save
the file to the hard drive and Send or Copy to the floppy when the document
is complete. To use a file on a floppy, first copy it to the HD. If your
daughter had followed this advice, her floppy would not have filled up in
the first place, and she would have had the "good version" on the HD.

To understand why it is such a bad idea to work from a floppy, see
€śDescription of how Word creates temporary files€ť at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632. In addition to the temp files
described here, Word often creates a new temp file every time you save the
document. This file is a complete backup copy of the doc, so it doesn't take
too long to fill a floppy with just a few saves if the document is large. In
addition, if you inadvertently remove the disk from the drive before Word is
through with its file-swapping operations, the disk is toast.