Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
angelaoak24

Default New fields do not show in a merged letter when using Address Block

I have added two new fields for a mail merged and used Match Fields to ensure
they are matching to the correct data, but when I use the Address Block field
in a letter data associated with these fields does not display. They do
display when the fields are inserted separately. Is there something else I
need to do when using the Address Block - or can I not use this option when
merging with new fields in the data list? I am using Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YW5nZWxhb2FrMjQ=?=,

I have added two new fields for a mail merged and used Match Fields to ensure
they are matching to the correct data, but when I use the Address Block field
in a letter data associated with these fields does not display. They do
display when the fields are inserted separately. Is there something else I
need to do when using the Address Block - or can I not use this option when
merging with new fields in the data list? I am using Word 2003.

It depends on whether the fields to which you've mapped are something that the
AddressBlock already includes.

Insert an AddressBlock, then press Alt+F9 to see the field content. Do you see
the fields you're missing, or are they not part of the default AddressBlock?

You can add them, following the convention you see in the field...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
angelaoak24

Default New fields do not show in a merged letter when using Address B

Cindy

I have tried writing the field in two ways, following the different
conventions used, and in one case the data does not display and in the other
the field name displays. I have checked the data list and the field has been
completed and I have matched the data.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks
Angela

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YW5nZWxhb2FrMjQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YW5nZWxhb2FrMjQ=?=,

I have tried writing the field in two ways, following the different
conventions used, and in one case the data does not display and in the other
the field name displays. I have checked the data list and the field has been
completed and I have matched the data.

Could you give a specific example, please?

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
angelaoak24

I have created a field called Job Title in the data base. Data has been
entered and under match fields I have matched the field Job Title to the
entry Job Title that appears in the drop down list.

In the Address Block the Company field is written _COMPANY_, and if I use
this method to enter JOb_TITLE, the field name shows, when I complete the
merge. The address lines shows as _STREET1_ and when I use this method
nothing shows in the address.

Many thanks.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YW5nZWxhb2FrMjQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YW5nZWxhb2FrMjQ=?=,

I have created a field called Job Title in the data base. Data has been
entered and under match fields I have matched the field Job Title to the
entry Job Title that appears in the drop down list.

In the Address Block the Company field is written _COMPANY_, and if I use
this method to enter JOb_TITLE, the field name shows, when I complete the
merge. The address lines shows as _STREET1_ and when I use this method
nothing shows in the address.

I can't get it to work in Word 2003. It's possible, since MS extended the
formatting functionality to be more "country-aware", that the field simply
will recognize no other fields anymore than those pre-determined for a country
:-(

Is there a special reason you'd like to use the AddressBlock, rather than
inserting the merge fields individually (besides the addtional steps
involved)?