Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
leesi

Default Can I convert linked files to embedded files in MS Word

Is it possible to convert linked files to embedded files in MS Word? I have a
document which contains linked photographs. I now need to distribute this and
would like to embed the original files (unless there is an easy way of
distributing it along with the original files and updating the links
accordingly)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bGVlc2k=?=,

Is it possible to convert linked files to embedded files in MS Word? I have a
document which contains linked photographs. I now need to distribute this and
would like to embed the original files (unless there is an easy way of
distributing it along with the original files and updating the links
accordingly)

Depends. Depends on whether the pictures have been formatted with any text-wrap
formatting. If they haven't (they're "in-line with the text"), then you can
select and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink them.

If they're formatted with text wrap, then you'd need to select, Edit/Link
(possibly available using Right-click).

Conceivably, VBA should be able to cycle through all the pictures and unlink
them, but some versions of Word don't support this well (crashes are possible).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi leesi,

Does Edit | Links... | Break Link work for you?

Success,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"leesi" wrote:

Is it possible to convert linked files to embedded files in MS Word? I have a
document which contains linked photographs. I now need to distribute this and
would like to embed the original files (unless there is an easy way of
distributing it along with the original files and updating the links
accordingly)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

leesi wrote:
Is it possible to convert linked files to embedded files in MS Word?
I have a document which contains linked photographs. I now need to
distribute this and would like to embed the original files (unless
there is an easy way of distributing it along with the original files
and updating the links accordingly)

Select the pictures and press Ctrl+Shift+F9, the shortcut for the Unlink
command.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

True. I find it very strange, though. Some day I have to ask the dev team
why the difference exists.

Jay

leesi wrote:
Is it possible to convert linked files to embedded files in MS Word?
I have a document which contains linked photographs. I now need to
distribute this and would like to embed the original files (unless
there is an easy way of distributing it along with the original
files and updating the links accordingly)

Select the pictures and press Ctrl+Shift+F9, the shortcut for the
Unlink command.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman