Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DonD

Default Word Table: When I select a Column, some rows have 2 cells selecte

I have a couple rows in my table that seem to be totally normal until I
select a table column. Then I get 2 side-by-side cells selected with the
otherwise single table column. Are these 2 cells linked? I don't know why
it's doing this. I can no longer copy and paste a column. I tried cutting and
pasteing the row into a new row, but it still does it. It there anyway to fix
this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

The two cells have been merged (Table | Merge Cells). Place the cursor
inside them and try the Split Cell command on the Table menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DonD" wrote in message
I have a couple rows in my table that seem to be totally normal

until I
select a table column. Then I get 2 side-by-side cells selected with

the
otherwise single table column. Are these 2 cells linked? I don't

know why
it's doing this. I can no longer copy and paste a column. I tried

cutting and
pasteing the row into a new row, but it still does it. It there

anyway to fix
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DonD

Default Word Table: When I select a Column, some rows have 2 cells sel

Yes, I can split the merged cell but the row will have too many columns and
once again requires a rewrite or major cell resizing. The most bazaar thing
is the cell had 3 lines of text, with a return after the first 2 lines of
text. Somehow these returns changed the single cell into a 3 row merged cell.
The other bazaar thing is the fact you cant identify which cell is merged in
word. I ended up copying and pasting a row from the word table into excel to
see what cell was merged. The only real problem I can see is a merged cell is
not. If it was merged like €śWord Perfect€ť it would be truly one cell. The
€śWord Perfect€ť table capabilities in the mid 90 was way ahead of Word 2003.
10 years behind. Pretty sad.

"DonD" wrote in message
I have a couple rows in my table that seem to be totally normal

until I
select a table column. Then I get 2 side-by-side cells selected with

the
otherwise single table column. Are these 2 cells linked? I don't

know why
it's doing this. I can no longer copy and paste a column. I tried

cutting and
pasteing the row into a new row, but it still does it. It there

anyway to fix
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

I have never seen the behavior you're describing. Does this happen
with a particular document or with a set of documents created from the
same template? I suppose it could be a corrupt document or template.
See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

See also the replies posted to your other (similar) question in
microsoft.public.word.tables. Please avoid multi-posting (or at least
indicate that you've asked the same question in another newsgroup,
too).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DonD" wrote in message
Yes, I can split the merged cell but the row will have too many

columns and
once again requires a rewrite or major cell resizing. The most

bazaar thing
is the cell had 3 lines of text, with a return after the first 2

lines of
text. Somehow these returns changed the single cell into a 3 row

merged cell.
The other bazaar thing is the fact you can't identify which cell is

merged in
word. I ended up copying and pasting a row from the word table into

excel to
see what cell was merged. The only real problem I can see is a

merged cell is
not. If it was merged like "Word Perfect" it would be truly one

cell. The
"Word Perfect" table capabilities in the mid '90 was way ahead of

Word 2003.
10 years behind. Pretty sad.