Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed N. - N. VA Ed N. - N. VA is offline

Default Word 2003 Changes Form Field Style

Hello,

Looking for some help with this problem:

Form field document created in Word 2000, subsequently edited and saved with
Word 2003. The fields have different formatting to include font and font
size. When the document is protected without a password (click lock on forms
toolbar) everything works as expected. However, when the document is
protected with a password, every field format changes to the Normal style
(Times New Roman, 12 pt) when any data is typed into it.

Thanks!
Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RWQgTi4gLSBOLiBWQQ==?=,

Looking for some help with this problem:

Form field document created in Word 2000, subsequently edited and saved with
Word 2003. The fields have different formatting to include font and font
size. When the document is protected without a password (click lock on forms
toolbar) everything works as expected. However, when the document is
protected with a password, every field format changes to the Normal style
(Times New Roman, 12 pt) when any data is typed into it.

Hmmm, under certain circumstances I see this behavior even without protecting
with a password. But if I create specific character styles for this formatting
and apply them to the form fields, the formatting is respected when the
document is protected.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed N. - N. VA Ed N. - N. VA is offline

Hi ,

Looking for some help with this problem:

Form field document created in Word 2000, subsequently edited and saved with
Word 2003. The fields have different formatting to include font and font
size. When the document is protected without a password (click lock on forms
toolbar) everything works as expected. However, when the document is
protected with a password, every field format changes to the Normal style
(Times New Roman, 12 pt) when any data is typed into it.

Hmmm, under certain circumstances I see this behavior even without protecting
with a password. But if I create specific character styles for this formatting
and apply them to the form fields, the formatting is respected when the
document is protected.

This partially worked. I still have some fields that are placed before
check boxes that still change their format to normal upon exiting. I tried
defining a macro to reapply the style to the field but that results in a
runtime error 4605. As before, if the document is protected without a
password the style is not changed. When the document is password protected,
the style changes when you type data in the field.

Thanks,
Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RWQgTi4gLSBOLiBWQQ==?=,

Is any of this taking place in a table? is there anything between the "field"
that's not retaining its formatting and the "checkbox"?

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed N. - N. VA Ed N. - N. VA is offline

Hello again,

Yes on all counts, with qualifications. There are 4 separate tables layouts
on the page. Some table cells have check boxes or date fields.

The first field to misbehave is the sixth text field and it is followed by a
table populated with labels and check boxes (check box is the first object).
There is another table of check boxes, then two text fields that behave well,
then the third table. The third table consists of rows with labels and text
fields. Fields formatted with a custom style containing the Arial font
behave but fields formatted with a custom style containing a Courier New font
will not behave. The Courier fields are in the middle and last row of the
table. Other rows contain the Arial fields. The Courier fields are all on
separate rows from the Arial fields.

Between the third and fourth tables are four text boxes formatted with the
same Courier New custom style that behave well. The fourth table contains 9
rows and 7 columns including one label column and one label row. All 8 rows
and columns formatted with the custom Arial style will not behave when
password protected.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RWQgTi4gLSBOLiBWQQ==?=,

Finally found what my brain was nagging me about in some old archives. See if
the information in this article applies

Incorrect Font Is Applied After a Style Is Applied to a Form Field
ID: 828501
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828501/en-us

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed N. - N. VA Ed N. - N. VA is offline

Thanks for all the help!

The final solution, believe it or not, involved formatting entire rows of
the table with the desired style, then going back and changing the style on
the labels. After that, all worked as expected. The KB article technique
worked outside of the tables, bur not in the cells of the tables.

Ed