Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Default Superscripted cross-refs change to regular font size?

Hope someone can help because this is driving me sort of crazy!

I am superscripting cross-references in the text based on a numbered
(bulleted) list of text items (bibliography) in the same document. When I
select the entire document (cntl-A), right click, and Update field, some (but
not all) of the superscripted cross-refs revert back to the non-superscripted
font size.
Here are the steps I am doing:
(I have a numbered bulleted list of references in the same document.)
1. Put cursor where I want to insert the cross-reference in the text. Then:
Insert/Reference/Cross reference/Reference type = numbered item/Insert
reference to = paragraph number/ok. (Cross-reference number appears where
cursor was in text, in text font size.)
2. Select the cross-reference numberin the text, and superscript it, by
either clicking on the superscript button in the tool-bar, or
Format/font/superscript (the problem occurs regardless).
3. Do cntl-A to select the entire document.
4. Right-click and select Update field (I do this periodically because the
sequence of items in the bibliography changes as I add more and resort them;
also, the TOC changes as I add text).
5. Here's where the problem occurs - some of the inserted cross-refs revert
back to the original font size and are no longer superscripted. Some don't,
but I can't figure out what is different about the ones that don't. How do I
get them all to stay superscripted when I update the fields in the document?
Or is there a better way to do this? THANKS!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Suzanne, I took your advice and looked at the field codes using shift-F9.
\*MERGEFORMAT was already there, apparently it gets inserted automatically
from what I learned from Word Help. I tried substituting the \*CHARFORMAT
and it still reverted back to the larger font when I updated the field. So I
tried alt-F9 to see what the other codes looked like that weren't reverting
and found something interesting - the REF field was superscripted itself. In
the ones that were reverting, the REF field was the regular non-superscripted
font size. So I went back and manually superscripted the displayed REF field
and it stayed superscripted even after I updated all fields in the document.

I still don't know why some of the superscripted cross-refs work correctly
from the start, and others need to be fixed after the fact, but at least I
now know how to fix them. So thanks, you pointed me in the right direction
because I had to learn more about the REF fields :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was going to suggest superscripting the field, but since the
cross-reference IS the field, I didn't see how superscripting it would not
superscript the field.