Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Ellison Peter Ellison is offline

Default Convert Embedded object, ACAD

I've created some MS Word 2003 documents in the past. In these documents,
I've copy pasted several AutoCAD 2004 drawings, which I could edit by double
clicking in MS Word.

Recently, I upgraded toAutoCAD 2007. Unfortunately I can't edit my old
drawings in the Word documents anymore. New drawings work perfectly, but
with old drawings in Word, it says "unknown object". It there a way to tell
MS Word that this is an AutoCAD drawing??? It is not possible to convert
them in MS Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yacbo Yacbo is offline

Word expects the program which created the drawing object to support it and
this is not happening. You could try a right-clk on the drawing and see what
options "convert" allows, but I assume by your subject line you have already
tried that. Is the Autocad upgrade downward compatible? If so, (and
assuming you still have the original) open the old drawing in the new Autocad
application and copy and paste again- replacing the older object with a newer
version (of what looks the same to you but not to Word). Then Word has a
clear path back to the originator. I hope you get a more productive answer
than this tedious one, but with my limited experience with CAD software, it's
all I can offer.

Luck

"Peter Ellison" wrote:

I've created some MS Word 2003 documents in the past. In these documents,
I've copy pasted several AutoCAD 2004 drawings, which I could edit by double
clicking in MS Word.

Recently, I upgraded toAutoCAD 2007. Unfortunately I can't edit my old
drawings in the Word documents anymore. New drawings work perfectly, but
with old drawings in Word, it says "unknown object". It there a way to tell
MS Word that this is an AutoCAD drawing??? It is not possible to convert
them in MS Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Try selecting the object and apply the Unlink command. Then double-click on
the object. Does that work?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP