Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Stan is offline

Default Paste in Word 2003

Word 2003 & XP Home. Used to be able to Copy first & then Paste into a Word
file but recently find I must open Word first before copying or the Paste
function won't work. Why has this changed? Have a second pc with identical
software and it performs the way I prefer. Any ideas? TIA Stan

It has removed 234 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Probably you have an add-in that clears the clipboard while Word is
starting. The only one I know for certain is the Works Add-In for Word, but
there might be others. Try removing all add-ins (see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...514521033.aspx) and then
adding them back one at a time until the problem resumes -- that last one
will be the culprit.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Stan wrote:
Word 2003 & XP Home. Used to be able to Copy first & then Paste into
a Word file but recently find I must open Word first before copying
or the Paste function won't work. Why has this changed? Have a second
pc with identical software and it performs the way I prefer. Any
ideas? TIA Stan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Stan is offline

Hi Jay,
I am in a quandry. First let me explain I am not too knowledgeable in this
area so please bear with me. I do not have Works Add-In but I did try to do
as instructed in the link you gave me somewhat but got too involved. I did
so many things, including uninstalling Office and reinstalling only Word,
Excel, and PowerPoint with none of the other items listed that I am totally
confused. I did something (but don't know what) and now I can Paste without
first opening Word except that when I do open Word I get the following error
message: (I also included the screenshot as an attachment in case it doesn't
show up in the body of the message)

If I hit okay or cancel the message disappears but I would like not to have
to do that. I don't know what macros or VBA are or if I need them or not.
Can you suggest something? Thanks. Stan

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Probably you have an add-in that clears the clipboard while Word is
starting. The only one I know for certain is the Works Add-In for Word,
but
there might be others. Try removing all add-ins (see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...514521033.aspx) and then
adding them back one at a time until the problem resumes -- that last one
will be the culprit.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so
all may benefit.

Stan wrote:
Word 2003 & XP Home. Used to be able to Copy first & then Paste into
a Word file but recently find I must open Word first before copying
or the Paste function won't work. Why has this changed? Have a second
pc with identical software and it performs the way I prefer. Any
ideas? TIA Stan

It has removed 235 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is not really an "error" message; it's just an informational message
(if you click "Show Help," you'll learn more about what it means). VBA
(Visual Basic for Applications) is the language in which Word (and other
Office) macros are written. A macro is a very short bit of program code that
performs some operation (see Word's Help topic "About macros"). The message
indicates that macros are disabled, presumably because of your Security
settings. There are two things you need to do:

1. Go to Tools | Macro | Security and set the security level to Medium. This
will ensure that when you try to open a document containing macros, you will
be given a choice of whether or not to enable them. If the document is from
a known source, and you trust it, you can enable the macros. If you prefer,
you can disable the macros; if you don't expect to be using the macros, but
just plan to read the document, this is the sensible thing to do.

2. On the Trusted Sources tab of the Security dialog, check the box for
"Trust all installed templates and add-ins." This will ensure that macros in
templates in the user templates and workgroup templates folders are trusted,
along with macros in templates and add-ins in Word's Startup folder.
Unfortunately, the trust does not extend to templates/add-ins in the Office
Startup folder or to documents, but with security set at Medium, you'll get
a chance to okay them.

None of this should have any bearing on ability to paste, however.

"Stan" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

------
It has removed 235 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Stan is offline

Perhaps I was not clear about my situation. I am running into this
informational message as soon as I open a blank Word document, not one I
received from someone that may or may not contain a macro.
I set the Security level to Medium, in fact even lower, but no help. I am
not given an option to enable. Perhaps because there is no macro there.

"Trust all installed templates and add-ins." is checked as you suggested but
my problem remains. Actually I don't care about macros or VBA because I
don't expect to deal with them. All I really want is for that informational
message not to come up so I have to remove it. Can I do this somehow? I
would really appreciate that if possible. Thanks for your help. Stan

Stan wrote:
Word 2003 & XP Home. Used to be able to Copy first & then Paste into
a Word file but recently find I must open Word first before copying
or the Paste function won't work. Why has this changed? Have a second
pc with identical software and it performs the way I prefer. Any
ideas? TIA Stan

------
It has removed 235 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 238 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Stan is offline

I'm happy to report that my problem has disappeared! After trying several
"fixes" with no positive results I uninstalled Office and reinstalled only
the basic programs I wanted. I had done this twice before with no success
but this time I got lucky. I don't know if I did something different or not
but now Word is behaving as it did a few weeks ago. I can copy using Print
Screen, open Word, and Paste into it without having to open Word first.
Also, I am not getting that informational message like I did before. It's
working properly and I hope it stays that way.
Thanks sincerely for all the help. Stan