Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Olly Olly is offline

Default Word 2003 Form Protection

Hello,

This might not be the right place to post this but any help you could offer
or directions to more suitable forum would be much appreciated!

I'm using Word Automation to Parse in data from documents based on a Word
2003 template. The system looks at fields stored in the first section of the
document which are filled in by the user. The form in the first section is a
"profile" (in a sense) for the document and all additional sections (of which
there can be any number) contain the document proper.

My idea was to use "Form Based" protection on the first section of the
document, whilst leaving the rest of it protection fee. This appeared to work
well, and was producing the functionality I was after, but a problem has
developed.

It seems when you Cut & Paste data into the unprotected sections of the
document then these sometimes become write protected themselves (in addition
to the header). This might also occur when you perform other functions in
Word but I can only seem to get it to happen when pasting. Has anyone
encountered this before, or know what would cause it? It doesn't happen all
the time, but does occur quite frequently when pasting in large amounts of
formatted content - just pasting in plain text seems to be okay.

Unless I can fix this problem then I'm going to have to abandon using form
based protection, which would be a shame because aside from this problem it
works well. Any ideas?

Thanks very much,

Olly