Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
LDuncan LDuncan is offline

Default Creating List of Tables

Hello-
Im hoping someone can help me with this. I am working on a report for a
client and they have very specific formatting requirements. I use Microsoft
Word 2003 to automatically generate a list of tables with the Reference €“
Caption option. This is what I currently have as a table caption:
1Table 1.1.1. List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico
(GOM) in 2004 and 2005.

The cilent requires the following:

1Table 1.1.1.

List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) in 2004 and
2005.

However, when I insert a line between Table 1.1.1. and €śList of tropical
cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico in 2004 and 2005€ť, only Table 1.1.1
appears in the €śList of Tables€ť in the beginning of the document.

Also, is there a way to remove the sequence numbers that appear before
€śTable 1.1.1€ť . I remove all Microsoft Word field codes before printing and
it does not remove these. Any ideas?

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Csaba Gabor Csaba Gabor is offline

LDuncan wrote:
The cilent requires the following:

1Table 1.1.1.

List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) in 2004 and
2005.

However, when I insert a line between Table 1.1.1. and €śList of tropical
cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico in 2004 and 2005€ť, only Table 1.1.1
appears in the €śList of Tables€ť in the beginning of the document.

If you use shift+Enter instead of just Enter, in separating the two
then the LOT (list of tables) should retain the second portion (at
least it does on my Word 2003).

Csaba Gabor from Vienna
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Also, is there a way to remove the sequence numbers that appear before
"Table 1.1.1" . I remove all Microsoft Word field codes before printing
and
it does not remove these. Any ideas?

It seems as if the Caption paragraph style includes paragraph numbering. In
the Modify Style dialog box, click Format, and then click Numbering. Click
the "None" option. Click OK to confirm the settings.

If you need instructions on how to display the Modify Style dialog box, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LDuncan" wrote in message
Hello-
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am working on a report for a
client and they have very specific formatting requirements. I use
Microsoft
Word 2003 to automatically generate a list of tables with the Reference -
Caption option. This is what I currently have as a table caption:
1Table 1.1.1. List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico
(GOM) in 2004 and 2005.

The cilent requires the following:

1Table 1.1.1.

List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) in 2004
and
2005.

However, when I insert a line between Table 1.1.1. and "List of tropical
cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico in 2004 and 2005", only Table
1.1.1
appears in the "List of Tables" in the beginning of the document.

Also, is there a way to remove the sequence numbers that appear before
"Table 1.1.1" . I remove all Microsoft Word field codes before printing
and
it does not remove these. Any ideas?

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
LDuncan LDuncan is offline

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work (paragraph numbering was turned
off). Any other ideas? I need to hide these field codes. Thanks!

"LDuncan" wrote in message
Hello-
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am working on a report for a
client and they have very specific formatting requirements. I use
Microsoft
Word 2003 to automatically generate a list of tables with the Reference -
Caption option. This is what I currently have as a table caption:
1Table 1.1.1. List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico
(GOM) in 2004 and 2005.

The cilent requires the following:

1Table 1.1.1.

List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) in 2004
and
2005.

However, when I insert a line between Table 1.1.1. and "List of tropical
cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico in 2004 and 2005", only Table
1.1.1
appears in the "List of Tables" in the beginning of the document.

Also, is there a way to remove the sequence numbers that appear before
"Table 1.1.1" . I remove all Microsoft Word field codes before printing
and
it does not remove these. Any ideas?

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

My assumption was that "Table x.y.z" is caption numbering (Insert |
Reference | Caption in Word 2003) and that the first number was some sort of
paragraph number. If you are saying that the Caption style (which, by
default, is applied to caption paragraphs) has no numbering, then I'm not
sure what is causing the "leading numbers."

Has some other style been applied to the caption paragraphs? If so, does
*that* style has paragraph numbering defined?

If you press Alt+F9 to show field codes, what is shown in the text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"LDuncan" wrote in message
Hello-
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am working on a report for
client and they have very specific formatting requirements. I use
Microsoft
Word 2003 to automatically generate a list of tables with the
Reference -
Caption option. This is what I currently have as a table caption:
1Table 1.1.1. List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of
Mexico
(GOM) in 2004 and 2005.

The cilent requires the following:

1Table 1.1.1.

List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) in 2004
and
2005.

However, when I insert a line between Table 1.1.1. and "List of
tropical
cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico in 2004 and 2005", only Table
1.1.1
appears in the "List of Tables" in the beginning of the document.

Also, is there a way to remove the sequence numbers that appear before
"Table 1.1.1" . I remove all Microsoft Word field codes before
printing
and
it does not remove these. Any ideas?

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
LDuncan LDuncan is offline

Thank you for your help on this. Before each caption is a number. When I
push Alt+F9 it says {SEQ Figure\*ARABIC}. I believe these "sequence numbers"
indicate order in the Table of Figures/Tables. I just want to hide them.
Thanks again.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

My assumption was that "Table x.y.z" is caption numbering (Insert |
Reference | Caption in Word 2003) and that the first number was some sort of
paragraph number. If you are saying that the Caption style (which, by
default, is applied to caption paragraphs) has no numbering, then I'm not
sure what is causing the "leading numbers."

Has some other style been applied to the caption paragraphs? If so, does
*that* style has paragraph numbering defined?

If you press Alt+F9 to show field codes, what is shown in the text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"LDuncan" wrote in message
Hello-
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am working on a report for
client and they have very specific formatting requirements. I use
Microsoft
Word 2003 to automatically generate a list of tables with the
Reference -
Caption option. This is what I currently have as a table caption:
1Table 1.1.1. List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of
Mexico
(GOM) in 2004 and 2005.

The cilent requires the following:

1Table 1.1.1.

List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) in 2004
and
2005.

However, when I insert a line between Table 1.1.1. and "List of
tropical
cyclones that entered the Gulf of Mexico in 2004 and 2005", only Table
1.1.1
appears in the "List of Tables" in the beginning of the document.

Also, is there a way to remove the sequence numbers that appear before
"Table 1.1.1" . I remove all Microsoft Word field codes before
printing
and
it does not remove these. Any ideas?

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, if "1 Table 1.1.1" appears in the list of tables only, then I'd say
that the first number is caused by paragraph numbering being added to the
Table of Figures paragraph style (or possibly to the TOC 1 paragraph style,
depending on whether the list of tables was created from styles or from the
captions).

If this doesn't help, you can send the document to , and
I'll have a look.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

My assumption was that "Table x.y.z" is caption numbering (Insert |
Reference | Caption in Word 2003) and that the first number was some sort
of
paragraph number. If you are saying that the Caption style (which, by
default, is applied to caption paragraphs) has no numbering, then I'm not
sure what is causing the "leading numbers."

Has some other style been applied to the caption paragraphs? If so, does
*that* style has paragraph numbering defined?

If you press Alt+F9 to show field codes, what is shown in the text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"LDuncan" wrote in message
Hello-
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am working on a report
for
client and they have very specific formatting requirements. I use
Microsoft
Word 2003 to automatically generate a list of tables with the
Reference -
Caption option. This is what I currently have as a table caption:
1Table 1.1.1. List of tropical cyclones that entered the Gulf of
Mexico
(GOM) in 2004 and 2005.

The cilent requires the following:

1Table 1.1.1.