oe

Default Word/Works

I am using Word 2003. When I create a document for a client, I use styles,
etc. but when he gets the document, none of the tabs or settings appear,
either on his screen or when he prints.

I had thought it was a printer issue but now I suspect that he has Works
rather than Word (he knows little about computers; he says someone else set
up the PC for him). Does this sound likely to be the case? I have never used
Works so am just guessing this could be the problem. I have tried sending
the documents to someone else as I know they have a totally different type
of printer. They have Word and the document comes out fine.

TIA

Anne Troy

Ask him to open the document, and then go to Help--About. What's it say?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"oe" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. When I create a document for a client, I use styles,
etc. but when he gets the document, none of the tabs or settings appear,
either on his screen or when he prints.

I had thought it was a printer issue but now I suspect that he has Works
rather than Word (he knows little about computers; he says someone else
set up the PC for him). Does this sound likely to be the case? I have
never used Works so am just guessing this could be the problem. I have
tried sending the documents to someone else as I know they have a totally
different type of printer. They have Word and the document comes out fine.

TIA

oe

I asked him that at the start -all he reads to me is "About Microsoft
Outlook Express". I asked him to do the same in the actual document and he
says there is no such thing on his toolbar! I have no idea what he has
installed and live too far away to go and look for myself. I also suggested
he does a "Save As" but he just likes to open the attachment in Outlook
Express and print the document.

For the time being, I am converting the Word document to pdf format and
sending it to him

"oe" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. When I create a document for a client, I use styles,
etc. but when he gets the document, none of the tabs or settings appear,
either on his screen or when he prints.

I had thought it was a printer issue but now I suspect that he has Works
rather than Word (he knows little about computers; he says someone else
set up the PC for him). Does this sound likely to be the case? I have
never used Works so am just guessing this could be the problem. I have
tried sending the documents to someone else as I know they have a totally
different type of printer. They have Word and the document comes out
fine.

TIA

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Ask him to save the file to his hard disk, then open it and tell you what
the Help - About says. He could even have Word Perfect. These days Word
isn't standard on a new computer.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]