Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] t_mannion@hotmail.com is offline

Default Inserting or embedding Listnum field into TC field

I should like to insert an identical sequence number into the TC field for
it's use in generating a TOC. The example follows: [3. Content Header ]
where 3. is generated from a Listnum field and the total [3. Content Header
] content is desired as an entry in the TOC as being displayed in the
following fashion: [3. Content Header.............................56 ]
where 56 represents the page where [3. Content Header] is located. Again I
am looking to have the Listnum field generate the number as other Listnum
fields are inserted or deleted and to have that information carry over to the
TC field for capture into the TOC when it is updated. I am not sure that
this combining of fields is possible but if there is an alternative method
for producing the same results I would be most appreciative. Thanks in
advance for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] t_mannion@hotmail.com is offline

Suzanne...

Thank you for answering my post. I did gather the information you provided
from the HELP files however what I am trying to do is insert the identical
sequence number from the Listnum field that makes up the original text of the
TC's entry. My example was probably not clear enough to understand. I shall
try again.

The original text to be included into the TC field has the Listnum field as
part of it.

The example refined: "Listnum_space_space_Content Header" where Listnum in
my earlier example was generated as the #3.

The example TC field appears as follows: "{ TC "1. Content Header" \f C \1
"1" }" or roughly there abouts.

The resulting TOC entry does not produce the desired effect of "3. Content
Header............................56". Rather it produces the look of "1.
Content Header............................56". It is close but not exactly
what I am looking for.

I do hope that this refinement of my desired outcome and the actual example
steps and their produced outcomes helps in getting a closer resolution to my
desired finished look of my TOC. Again, I thank you for taking the time to
reply and if you think you have a solution please let me know. Thanks.

wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think you're going to have to number the TC fields separately from the
actual headings. For this type of numbering even SEQ fields might work.

" wrote
in message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use Insert | Field to insert the field in the existing field, or press
Ctrl+F9 and type the required syntax between the braces.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As far as I know, there is no way to get a nested LISTNUM field to
display. As Suzanne wrote, SEQ fields may work better. However, it
would make more sense to use a cross-reference field instead: Place
the insertion point inside the TC field and insert a cross-reference
to the LISTNUM field. Then try updating the table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP