Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny Lenny is offline

Default Conditional Formatting and dropdowns

Without creating a circular reference, can a cell containing a dropdown be
set up with conditional formatting so that the same cell and type change
color depending on the selection from the dropdown?

I have set up conditional formatting in another worksheet where the color of
cell "C" is determined by the or of the values in two other cells and the
contents are entered as numbers..... I notice there are only three conditions
available when using the Conditional Formating Dropdown under the Formatting
menu.

Is excel capable of allowing the user to set up a dropdown with the
following non-number values?

1. blank
2. F = Red cell / white type
3. NF = Green cell / white type
4. NA = White background / black type

Can it be set up with a nested formula? and how would it look? Sorry - but
am rusty with my excel formula writing these days... Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Why do you ask this Excel question in a Word forum?
Anyway, the answer is YEs, you can have a dropdown list and conditional
formating on the same cell.
All the best
DeanH

"Lenny" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny Lenny is offline

"Lenny" wrote:
It's kinda like why the chicken crossed the road....... I was on the Excel
site but failed to log in, forgetting that the site always defaults to Word
General Questions!

Since one of us is on the right track.... could you elaborate? I posted the
question again once I realized my mistake, on the Excel Programming page.
Someone responded with a vba solution, however, if I can get there from here
(without vba) I would be really, really happy camper. My thanks - Lenny

"Lenny" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Lenny, check out the Excel Help (usually very good) for Data Validation and
List for your drop down menu on a cell.
Then Conditional Fomatting for the changes required for each selection on
that cell.
All the best
DeanH