Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
emfdvm emfdvm is offline

Default how do I make name tags with different names?

I want to make pre-printed name tags for a party. I have avery 8160 labels.
In Word I'm trying th Envelopes and Labels tools, but it will only make one
label repeated over and over, not a series of different names. How do I tell
it to make different labels?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pierre Pierre is offline

Where do you have the list of names in which you would like to use. If you
have then on a file like Excel or Access. You can use the Mail Merge option
and create the labels you want. Once you select Mail Merge, the side tab
will walk you though the step to complete. Feel free to post any issues you
may have completing this.
--
Work is sometimes hard....but someone has to do it.

"emfdvm" wrote:

I want to make pre-printed name tags for a party. I have avery 8160 labels.
In Word I'm trying th Envelopes and Labels tools, but it will only make one
label repeated over and over, not a series of different names. How do I tell
it to make different labels?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
emfdvm emfdvm is offline

I have it as an MS Word document. It's just a list of names. I did find the
Mail Merge function you suggested, but now I'm having difficulty setting up
the data to sort properly - field delimiters? record delimiters? I'm
playing with the HELP function as well to get this straightened out. Any
advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks.

"emfdvm" wrote:

I want to make pre-printed name tags for a party. I have avery 8160 labels.
In Word I'm trying th Envelopes and Labels tools, but it will only make one
label repeated over and over, not a series of different names. How do I tell
it to make different labels?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pierre Pierre is offline

How are the names listed on the word document. Is it displayed like

Michael Richardson
234 SW lane
Miami, Fl 33311

Frank Franklin
546 NE 140 Place
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33032

etc..

If so you may need to add columns with a header so that each address can be
identified. The addresses have to be group in order for mail merge to work
properly. I person don't know of an easier way then that. My personnel
option is that you add the address in tables with a header or copy and paste
them in Excel.

Note: If you use complete address in a table you have to place them from Top
to Bottom. And if you place then in a form of a field i.e.
[FName][LName][Street][State]
the information should go from Left to Right.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case you have (at least) three options:

1. In the Envelopes and Labels dialog, click New Document to get a sheet of
labels on which you can type directly. They're set up as a table, so be sure
you have table gridlines displayed (Table | Show Gridlines) so you can see
the label boundaries. You'll get only one page to start with, but when you
tab out of the last label on the page, you'll go to the next page with a new
row.

2. Convert your list to a mail merge data source. This can be a simple
table. Use Table | Convert | Text to Table, separating at paragraphs. For
this purpose you'll want a single-column table since you'll be using a
single field for your mail merge.

3. Convert your list to labels directly:

a. Look at the label definition (or measure the labels themselves) to
see what the outside margins are (looks like 0.5" top and bottom and 0.19"
on the sides), and change the margins of your list document to match.

b. Use Table | Convert | Text to Table, separating at paragraphs and
choosing three columns (since your labels are 3 x 10).

c. Measure the labels (or get the measurements from the label
definition). In this case they are effectively 1" x 2.75". Use Table
Properties to set the cell height and width appropriately. (Note that the
label definition created by word inserts a narrow column between the label
cells to represent the space between the labels. You can make up this
difference with indents.)

d. Select the entire table and center the names horizontally and
vertically, then change the font style and size as desired.