oe

Default Custom dictionaries

I have just changed from Word 2000 to Word 2003 and am a bit puzzled by the
dictionary setup.

In Word 2000, there was a custom.dic (which I never used) and my own
dictionaries for different jobs. All new words were added to the particular
dictionary which I ticked when checking the spelling.

In Word 2003, I appear to have a custom.dic each for UK and US spelling.
When I select one of my own dictionaries, it appears that I must change the
Default to get words added to the .dic file I want.

When I change jobs (and therefore the dictionary), I get a warning that
changing the default could affect other Office programs.

Is there a way around this, please?

TIA

oe

Thanks, Suzanne. I have done that. Now I have a list:

English (UK),
English (US)
All languages: (This has the custom.dic marked as default.)

The only thing that bothers me now is that if I check the dictionary I want
to use, it becomes a Default and when I no longer wish to use it, I still
get a a warning that changing the default could affect other Office
programs.

Can that be avoided, please?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You should not (by default) have a custom.dic for each language. Usually
the
language for custom.dic is "All languages." Set one of your custom.dic
files
accordingly and discard the other one.

so
all may benefit.

"oe" wrote in message
I have just changed from Word 2000 to Word 2003 and am a bit puzzled by

the
dictionary setup.

In Word 2000, there was a custom.dic (which I never used) and my own
dictionaries for different jobs. All new words were added to the

particular
dictionary which I ticked when checking the spelling.

In Word 2003, I appear to have a custom.dic each for UK and US spelling.
When I select one of my own dictionaries, it appears that I must change

the

When I change jobs (and therefore the dictionary), I get a warning that
changing the default could affect other Office programs.

Is there a way around this, please?

TIA

At this point you've exceeded my knowledge. I would suggest you post your
question in microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar.

"oe" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne. I have done that. Now I have a list:

English (UK),
English (US)
All languages: (This has the custom.dic marked as default.)

The only thing that bothers me now is that if I check the dictionary I

want
to use, it becomes a Default and when I no longer wish to use it, I still
get a a warning that changing the default could affect other Office
programs.

Can that be avoided, please?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You should not (by default) have a custom.dic for each language. Usually
the
language for custom.dic is "All languages." Set one of your custom.dic
files
accordingly and discard the other one.

newsgroup
so