Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Linda C Linda C is offline

Default list of symbols

It was really nice when computers came with manuals, then we could look stuff
up. With the lack of manuals I was wondering if there is any way of
printing/securing a list of the symbols available in Word so the search could
be a little easier.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

The list of symbols would have to be a volume the size of an encyclopedia &
not all symbols are available in all fonts. You can probably find everything
you need by using the InsertSymbol dialog in Word & even more (such as a
search feature) if you use the Window Accessory called the Characte Map.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Linda C" Linda wrote in message
news
It was really nice when computers came with manuals, then we could look
stuff
up. With the lack of manuals I was wondering if there is any way of
printing/securing a list of the symbols available in Word so the search
could
be a little easier.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote:
The list of symbols would have to be a volume the size of an encyclopedia
[...]

.... which you could buy he
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/032...620691-2555816

(though you'd still miss some symbols from symbol fonts that you have
installed)

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Linda C" wrote:
Is there any way to print to most often used symbol types ie wingdings?

The macro from this thread creates a table with the symbols, the
corresponding key, the decimal code, and the hexadecimal code:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...k=st&q=&rnum=2

It's pretty slow, but once it has finished, you can change the "symbol font"
character style to any symbol font (such as Wingdings) quickly, to create a
new table for that font.

If you need help with using macros:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

In addition to Klaus' suggestion you can also go to the Windows Fonts
folder, dbl-click the name of the font file, then click the Print button in
the upper right corner of the font window. This still won't give you *all*
the characters in the font, but it's quick, easy, & provides at least a
reasonable sampling of the content for a font like Wingdings... Lucida Sans
Unicode - not so much.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

&
not all symbols are available in all fonts. You can probably find
everything
you need by using the InsertSymbol dialog in Word & even more (such as a
search feature) if you use the Window Accessory called the Characte Map.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"Linda C" Linda wrote in message
news
It was really nice when computers came with manuals, then we could look
stuff
up. With the lack of manuals I was wondering if there is any way of
printing/securing a list of the symbols available in Word so the search
could
be a little easier.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Linda C Linda C is offline

thanks will try this

"CyberTaz" wrote:

The list of symbols would have to be a volume the size of an encyclopedia
&
not all symbols are available in all fonts. You can probably find
everything
you need by using the InsertSymbol dialog in Word & even more (such as a
search feature) if you use the Window Accessory called the Characte Map.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

news It was really nice when computers came with manuals, then we could look