Mike Miller

Default Style change not saved to Normal.dot

Word 2003 - I'm trying to update the "heading" styles to use in several
documents. I created one document and set the styles the way I wanted them,
then went into the Organizer and copied all of them to the Normal.dot.
However, when I open a new doc based on Normal.dot, the changes I made to
those styles are not there, specifically the left margin (everything else
seems to have been saved). I then went back to my master document, selected
each style, clicked Modify and checked "Add to template." That didn't work
either. All of the headings are based on the "Normal" style which is correct
in Normal.dot.
Graham Mayor

Do you have Acrobat 7? If so, its add-in interferes with the ability to save
changes to normal.dot. Complain loudly to Adobe. In the meantime lose the
add-in or open normal.dot and make the changes there.

Mike Miller wrote:
Word 2003 - I'm trying to update the "heading" styles to use in
several documents. I created one document and set the styles the way
I wanted them, then went into the Organizer and copied all of them to
the Normal.dot. However, when I open a new doc based on Normal.dot,
the changes I made to those styles are not there, specifically the
left margin (everything else seems to have been saved). I then went
back to my master document, selected each style, clicked Modify and
checked "Add to template." That didn't work either. All of the
headings are based on the "Normal" style which is correct in
Normal.dot.

Mike Miller

To answer both questions, I don't have Adobe and I was referring to left
indent, not margin. However, in doing some further research, I found the
following page:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

I followed these steps and my problems seems to have been resolved. I guess
the outline numbering or the way I had the styles defined was confusing
things.