mcp6453

Default Corrupt normal.dot

Somehow normal.dot for my Word 2000 installation got corrupted. Is there
any way to retrieve the info from it or to attempt a repair on it? I had
a couple of macros in it that I would prefer not to have to recreate.
Jay Freedman

mcp6453 wrote:
Somehow normal.dot for my Word 2000 installation got corrupted. Is
there any way to retrieve the info from it or to attempt a repair on
it? I had a couple of macros in it that I would prefer not to have to
recreate.

While Word is shut down, rename the file to something like OldNormal.dot.
(To find the right folder, look in Tools Options File Locations for the
value of the User Templates location. The file is normally hidden, so be
sure Explorer is set to show hidden files and folders.) Then restart Word,
which will build a new Normal.dot.

Now use the Organizer (Tools Templates & Add-Ins Organizer). One side
will show the new Normal.dot. On the other side, click Close File, then
click it again (it changes to Open File) and select OldNormal.dot. Click the
Macro Project Items tab. You should see the names of any macro modules you
created (not the names of the macros themselves); if you never renamed a
module after recording a macro, that module will be named NewMacros. Select
the modules and click the Copy button.

You can do the same for any custom styles, autotext, and toolbars you want
to salvage.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

mcp6453

Jay Freedman wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

Excellent! I was able to recover my macros. Regarding my other post
trying to determine the breaking non-space, here is the code that
inserts the space. I'm still not sure what the character is, but it sure
is handy in tables:

Sub InsertZeroWidthSpace()
Selection.InsertAfter ChrW(8203)
Selection.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
End Sub