Barth Buchmann

Default Using Word 2003 docs with Office/Word 97

Have Office 97 installed on Win xp system and have used Word 97 for years
with no problems. Just installed a program that has form letters (with mail
merge macros) in it that were created in Word 2003. They actually have a .pcd
extension. I'm being told that in order to properly open these files, I need
to upgrade to Word 2003. Is there a work-around/patch/converter that will
work? Returning the software is not an option.
--
Barth Buchmann

Since .pcd is not a Word extension, there is clearly more than Word
involved. Web sources suggest that the .pcd extension is used for Photo CD
(obviously irrelevant) and "Microsoft Visual Test compiled script." The only
KB reference I can find to "Test" in combination with ".pcd" is "SUR and
16-bit Clients Must Run Separate Versions of TEST" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145793; all the other KB articles about
..pcd seem to refer to the Photo CD format. KB articles referring to "Visual
Test" seem to reference Visual SourceSafe and
Systems Management Server.

All of which seems to suggest that even installing Office 2003 might not
help.