Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kathryn kathryn is offline

Default drag and drop

Hi

I am using Word 2007 and for some reason can no longer drag and drop text.
I've checked using several documents and the same problem arises -
the text becomes highlighted - there is a little dotted line to mark where
the cursor is and this moves happily enough to the new destination but there
is a circle with diagonal line across indicating that the text cannot move.

I've gone into the Word Options Advanced and the "Allow text to be dragged
and dropped" is checked.

I'm working on an 8000 word essay so being able to drag and drop will be
pretty essential - I can cut and paste but it's not the same!

Any suggestions welcome - let me know if more info is needed.

Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is drag and drop working otherwise--i.e., in other programs?

I saw a problem recently, after updating a Synoptics touchpad's driver,
where all dragging and dropping in Windows Vista stopped working... until I
opened and closed the mouse control panel.

Since rebooting, the problem has not recurred.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Kathryn" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Word 2007 and for some reason can no longer drag and drop text.
I've checked using several documents and the same problem arises -
the text becomes highlighted - there is a little dotted line to mark where
the cursor is and this moves happily enough to the new destination but
there
is a circle with diagonal line across indicating that the text cannot
move.

I've gone into the Word Options Advanced and the "Allow text to be
dragged
and dropped" is checked.

I'm working on an 8000 word essay so being able to drag and drop will be
pretty essential - I can cut and paste but it's not the same!

Any suggestions welcome - let me know if more info is needed.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kathryn kathryn is offline

Drag and drop was working in other programs. Since posting, I rebooted and
did a scan disk overnight and the problem seems to be resolved - thank
goodness. Obviously a "one of those things" that happen from time to time!

Thank-you for responding

"Kathryn" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Word 2007 and for some reason can no longer drag and drop text.
I've checked using several documents and the same problem arises -
the text becomes highlighted - there is a little dotted line to mark where
the cursor is and this moves happily enough to the new destination but
there
is a circle with diagonal line across indicating that the text cannot
move.

I've gone into the Word Options Advanced and the "Allow text to be
dragged
and dropped" is checked.

I'm working on an 8000 word essay so being able to drag and drop will be
pretty essential - I can cut and paste but it's not the same!

Any suggestions welcome - let me know if more info is needed.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kathryn kathryn is offline

Hi again

after 2 hours working on the document the drag and drop issue has
re-arisen. I have checked in Publisher and Outlook (Word is text editor) and
drag and drop is fine there. (Also tried in this message and that was tine
too!)

Any thoughts welcome - nothing has changed as far as I'm aware and, as I
say, the problem seems specific to Word. (2007)

"Kathryn" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Word 2007 and for some reason can no longer drag and drop text.
I've checked using several documents and the same problem arises -
the text becomes highlighted - there is a little dotted line to mark where
the cursor is and this moves happily enough to the new destination but
there
is a circle with diagonal line across indicating that the text cannot
move.

I've gone into the Word Options Advanced and the "Allow text to be
dragged
and dropped" is checked.

I'm working on an 8000 word essay so being able to drag and drop will be
pretty essential - I can cut and paste but it's not the same!

Any suggestions welcome - let me know if more info is needed.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My guess is that it's either an add-in that is somehow stepping on something
it shouldn't be, or it's a resources issue. I sometimes find features not
working in Word 2007, only to see them resurrected simply by closing a few
other programs.

It drag & drop is playing peek-a-boo, then it might be time to upgrade your
memory or computer. But, in any case, you should pay careful attention to
exactly what circumstances are making drag and drop suddenly MIA.

--

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

drag and drop Lynda Microsoft Word Help 1 August 13th 08 03:04 AM
drag and drop inserts Paras Shah New Users 2 January 19th 06 10:21 AM
drag and drop inserts Paras Shah Page Layout 1 January 19th 06 02:07 AM
Drag and Drop Paras Shah New Users 1 January 19th 06 02:07 AM
drag and drop Monty New Users 2 November 25th 05 06:47 PM