KM1

Default Word slow to open or opens partially 25 seconds before completing

From the begining I used to get a pause in Word 2003 when I tried opening
word. It used to come between the Normal.dot and the toolbars opening.
About 5 seconds. This gradually improved, until last night. All of a
sudden, Word started hanging. It would open partially without the Normal.dot
and the toolbars for about 15 to 20 seconds then open completely. I called
Microsoft Word support For help. They firs had me click run and type Winword
/a and open word. Bam it opened instantly but without my toolbars and with
all the defaults replaced. I had never seen it open this fast from new.
They had me close and then had me delete all files in addins, then on to
another folder to delete Adobe PDF template, then into regedit and place a
number 1 in front of two folders. Then out. Restart

During the close something called managersomething came up at the bottom
left of my screen and a voice came out of my speakers. I could not make out
what it was saying but it had something to do with that manager thing, this
had never happened before and I had never seen this manager thing before
either. Anyway, Machine came back up normal. I opened word, it came up
great but without any toolbars or the PDF maker buttons. They are gone. Set
up my toolbars again and some settings. Program seems to actually run better
now. At least it open alot faster. No hang at all so far. However, I have
3 questions?

1. What was that program that was running on shutdown and talking to me
through my speakers? Is this a feature in Word or Office that I now have
disabled.

2. What functionality have I lost through by deleting the addins that came
with Word?

3. Can I run Adobe through the main programs menu with files I save with
word and do the same thing that those button (addins) I lost through this
process?

Any information regarding what MS had me do and why would be very much
appreciated.

KM1

You can get a clue to what MS had you do (which IMO was rather high-handed)
by reading http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

While I'm not aware of any audio component to it, it could be the Windows
Task Manager that was displayed. It may have been telling you that Windows
couldn't shut down because an application was still running. Usually Task
Manager will go ahead and close the running program, then shut down Windows.

From the begining I used to get a pause in Word 2003 when I tried opening