Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe

Default Remove return codes at end of each line in document

Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes for each
line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this back. Have tried
the various Views, but this doesn't help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Click the ¶ key on the toolbar or CTRL+*

Joe wrote:
Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes
for each line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this
back. Have tried the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The original reply was correct - yours pre-supposes that * is at SHIFT+8it
may not be on some keyboards.

Chander wrote:
Press Ctrl+Shift+8

Joe wrote:
Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes
for each line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this
back. Have tried the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe

Thanks for your help and also for reference to your website. I knew i
accidently hit some keys while i was talking on the phone and working, but
for the life of me, i could not figure out what I had done, so i could undo
it. Your answer was exactly what i needed to know.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The original reply was correct - yours pre-supposes that * is at SHIFT+8it
may not be on some keyboards.

Chander wrote:
Press Ctrl+Shift+8

Joe wrote:
Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes
for each line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this
back. Have tried the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe

Thank you for your help. I knew I had accidentally hit a key or 2 while i
was working on something and talking on the phone, but for the life of me,
couldn't figure out what I had done, so i could undo it. I appreicate your
help.

"Chander" wrote:

Press Ctrl+Shift+8

Joe wrote:
Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes
for each line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this
back. Have tried the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe

Graham Mayor, earlier today I read your answer to my query. I opened a doc.
and hit control + shift 8 and it cleared the codes in my doc. Just now I
began a new doc. and the codes are back again and when I click ctl + shift 8
they do not go away. Please help again.
"Joe" wrote:

Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes for each
line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this back. Have tried
the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Tools options view formatting marks - uncheck the items in this
section.
Note (with Word 2000 especially) that minor corruption of the Word data key
in the registry can affect what is stored in tools options. If this
persistently causes trouble it may be worth deleting the data key to reset
it - see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

"Joe" wrote:

Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes
for each line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this
back. Have tried the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SparkyJoe SparkyJoe is offline

"Joe" wrote:

Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes for each
line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this back. Have tried
the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SparkyJoe SparkyJoe is offline

After brilliantly replying with a blank post, let me add this: I know how to
DISPLAY or not the return codes @ the end of each line in a doc as Graham
Mayor described. What I want to do is physically, as it were, REMOVE the
codes so that no end-of-line mark exists. You see, I bring old docs over to
MS Word 2007 from older PCs or Macs and those docs usually have end-of-line
marks (paragraph symbols). Having to REMOVE these one line at a time is
tedious and time-wasting. Thus, I'm looking for a way in MS Word 2007 to
actually take these marks out of existence. Thanks for your help.

"Joe" wrote:

Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes for each
line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this back. Have tried
the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eanWebText.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Joe" wrote:

Some how I turned on the document view that shows the return codes
for each line in my document. Cannot remember how to change this
back. Have tried the various Views, but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SparkyJoe SparkyJoe is offline

Thank you, Jay Freedman, for your quick and accurate reply. What I did was
search for each pilcrow and replace with nothing. This found and replaced 78
items. I had to reset 27 paragraphs but that was easier than moving the
cursor to each line, pressing the back space key, and then pressing the space
bar. Thanks again.