Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beau Jest

Default Can I protect a document and still allow editing?

I know how to track changes in Word and view the versions and reviewers (and
all that.) My problem is that if a reviewer turns off the "track changes" I
can't immediately determine what they added or deleted. (I'd have to run a
document comparison each time...too inefficient.) Is there a way to protect
the document so that it allows changes to the text, but doesn't allow changes
to the drop-down menus? [[PS. please send a copy of your response to
". I think my e-mail address in MS is old.]]
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb

What version of Word are you using? I know in 2003, they have a really nice
new feature that allows you to PROTECT the document and still allow users to
make changes that are being tracked, and they can't turn off tracking unless
they have the password.

Click Tools - Protect
A little task bar appears to the side of your doc.
Click on the 2nd heading EDITING RESTRICTIONS
Allow only this type of editing in this document.
Click dropdown box - tracked changes.

Click Yes, Start Enforcing.
You then get the password screen.

Hope this helps€¦