Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pylandj

Default table of contents headaches

I defined a table of contents based on TC fields. I put the heading of each
of my sections into the TC field. But now when I toggle the paragraph button
all my headings dissappear. What is the point of the TC feild if anything you
put in there is not really visible? I want to control what the Table of
Contents pick up with the TC command, but why should I have type something
different for the TC field and the headings of sections? It doesn't make any
sense.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daiya Mitchell

Well, actually, the main purpose of TC fields is for when you want the TOC
to have text that you don't want in the document.

If you just want the Headings to be in the TOC, then define a TOC based on
Headings instead of on TC fields. That's easier anyhow.

Possibly relevant links:

How to create a table of contents in Microsoft Word
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

How can I include just part of a paragraph in my table of contents?
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm

TOC Tips and Tricks
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

Example of TC field use: