Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Default OK for SP2

This may not be the ideal spot for asking this but since I access this great
forum the most, here goes. I am using Office 2003 and it appears I am
supposed to install Office SP3 and various other upgrades for the various
Office components. I always take a deep breath before installing any
Microsoft upgrades since I have learned the hard way that, ahem, they
sometimes create more problems than the problems they solve, which
"problems" in most cases I didn't even know I had. Is it safe to upgrade
install Office SP3? Is it worth it? Are there good reasons to skip the
upgrade?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis

Joe,

Our computer club has long since just installed the updates as they become
available. A couple of years back, there was one Win XP fix that degraded
two members systems. It was related to their specific BIOS versions.

When we do "house calls," on the members computers, we routinely install all
available updates whether Win XP or Office.

When it comes to security the old phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
just doesn't apply. It's broke, you just don't know it, but given time you
will.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Thanks! (I just get a little nervous about Microsoft)

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This may not be the ideal spot for asking this but since I access this
great
forum the most, here goes. I am using Office 2003 and it appears I am
supposed to install Office SP3 and various other upgrades for the
various
Office components. I always take a deep breath before installing any
Microsoft upgrades since I have learned the hard way that, ahem, they
sometimes create more problems than the problems they solve, which
"problems" in most cases I didn't even know I had. Is it safe to
upgrade
install Office SP3? Is it worth it? Are there good reasons to skip
the
upgrade?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

One thing to watch out for with any update of *any* Office program is that
it will set Outlook as your default mail client. If you are using OE or some
other client, you will have to reselect it in Internet Options. I find this
very presumptuous and arrogant and totally uncalled for when, as I did
yesterday, I'm downloading an update for Excel only, with no Outlook updates
even involved.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

It is pretty arrogant, but I use OL as the default mail program so it's no
problem. (Speaking of arrogance, don't get me started on the mischief a
routine-looking Acrobat upgrade caused in Word)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Was this the upgrade from Acrobat 6 to 7? That's one I won't be making!

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
It is pretty arrogant, but I use OL as the default mail program so it's no
problem. (Speaking of arrogance, don't get me started on the mischief a
routine-looking Acrobat upgrade caused in Word)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
One thing to watch out for with any update of *any* Office program is

that
it will set Outlook as your default mail client. If you are using OE or
some
other client, you will have to reselect it in Internet Options. I find
this
very presumptuous and arrogant and totally uncalled for when, as I did
yesterday, I'm downloading an update for Excel only, with no Outlook
updates
even involved.

newsgroup
so