Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Richard[_2_] Richard[_2_] is offline

Default Enabling WORD97 SP2 on WindowsXP SP2 to open HTML document without a fault message

I've got WindowsXP SP2 and running WORD97 SP2 on it. I can save my text
documents as HTML, but there is a problem when I come to open up my
WORD-saved HTML document. I can open the HTML document, however there are
some few things I cannot do under the Table Menu. There is a section of
three things on the Table Menu that don't work: Table Properties; Cell
Properties and Borders... . They are *not* greyed-out by the way when I
highlght my table. The Web Page Preview does not work either.

There is an issue with installing WORD 97 on XP. When installing Office 97
Pro, you get the message: "htmlmarq.ocx was unable to register itself in the
system registry." The apparant solution to this is to go into registry and
rename both htmlmarq.ocx & htmlmm.ocx. Okay, well I done that, then
reinstalled Office97 Pro. But when I open up my HTML document I still get
the message:" The windows registry has reported that one or more required
files are damaged or missing. to correct the problem run the Word setup
program."

I have both htmlmarq.ocx and htmlmm.ocx on my PC. htmlmm.ocx in File
Properties was associated with (Open With) Word97. htmlmarq.ocx was
originally as "Unknown Application", but I have set this file to be
associated with Word97 also. Just seemed the thing to do.

I have even undone the name changes made to htmlmarq.ocx and htmlmm.ocx in
the registry after installing Office97, but that has not changed anything.

The main thing for me is having the bility to change the borders of tables
in my HTML documents, but I cannot do that at present.

When I installed Office97 I installed everything.

Anyone know what's wrong or what I can do to psych out the problem? TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Richard,

The htmlmarq.ocx ActiveX control has been disabled by Windows XP in one of its updates, so it won't function. OCX files generally
aren't associated with an app by file extension.

The workaround on install problesm is modify both of the HTMLM...
..OCX files to .OLD in the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microosft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\ImageFileExecutionOptions

In Word 6 thru Word 97 the Web page features (some of which were lost in later versions of Word) are managed by an Add-in, MS Word
Internet Assistant, renamed for Word97 to 'Web authoring tools'. There is an updated version of those tools (Wd97AU.exe) available
from
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...DisplayLang=en.

Installing Office 2007 without the web tools choice using custom setup can often avoid one of the error messages you're getting.

What happens when you use the Web Page preview in Word97?

Do you have other Microsoft Office product versions listed in Add/Remove programs in the Windows control panel?

Also, keep in mind that with the older Acme setup.exe used by Office 97 that you have to reapply service packs when
installing/reinstalling. They're not automatically reapplied as they are starting with Office 2000's use of the MS Installer for
setup.

=============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Richard[_2_] Richard[_2_] is offline

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Richard,

The htmlmarq.ocx ActiveX control has been disabled by Windows XP in one of
its updates, so it won't function. OCX files generally
aren't associated with an app by file extension.

The workaround on install problesm is modify both of the HTMLM...
.OCX files to .OLD in the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microosft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\ImageFileExecutionOptions

In Word 6 thru Word 97 the Web page features (some of which were lost in
later versions of Word) are managed by an Add-in, MS Word
Internet Assistant, renamed for Word97 to 'Web authoring tools'. There is
an updated version of those tools (Wd97AU.exe) available
from
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...DisplayLang=en.

First of all, in trying to install (Wd97AU.exe) I am getting the error
message "Could not update the Web Authoring Tools. Return to the Office Free
Stuff web site for troubleshooting tips. Or if you run Word directly from a
network, ask your system administrator for assistance. [Styles]." And I know
why I get this. Because there is no proper entry in the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172502

It should read:

Component Registry Location/Default Directory

[STYLES] Registry Location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\
Word\HTML\LocalPageStyles

Default Directory:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Web Page
Templates\Styles

There is no HTML entry after "Word\" as there should be above.

But why that should be I don't know. I've got all the required components
ticked off when I install Office97.

Installing Office 2007 without the web tools choice using custom setup can
often avoid one of the error messages you're getting.

What happens when you use the Web Page preview in Word97?

Nothin'. Hour glass goes for a second then stops.

Do you have other Microsoft Office product versions listed in Add/Remove
programs in the Windows control panel?

No.

Also, keep in mind that with the older Acme setup.exe used by Office 97
that you have to reapply service packs when
installing/reinstalling. They're not automatically reapplied as they are
starting with Office 2000's use of the MS Installer for
setup.

I'll look into this.

It just looks as if Web Page Authoring (HTML) and HTML Text Conveter is
installed. But, the first registry entry I looked at, is incomplete as I
mention above.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Richard[_2_] Richard[_2_] is offline

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172502

My PC does not contain any correct registry enties in that troubleshooting
entry.

No HTML entry for:

[STYLES]
[CONTENT]
[WEBART]
BULLETS]
[LINES]

No PROGRAMDIR entry for [MSOFFICE]

No FilesNew entry for [TEMPLATES]

No Location entry for [TEXTCONV]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Richard,

There are a couple of other factors that can cause the issue (corrupt template, or Word data key, or trying to open an HTML page
that wasn't created in Word 97, and a few others), sometimes needing to pull out Office 97 and install fresh, and/or to remove
add-ins that may be attached to Word, but at present it's not clear that Word 97 is working properly before trying to fix more than
one thing at a time.

1. Remove the file association you added for the .OCX files.

2. Clean up all old temp files using
Start=Search
and recycle files found using the string
~$*.*;*.tmp

3. From the Windows Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs change the Office 97 setup to remove the Web Authoring features and restart
the PC. Then change to put those features back in. If you get the message about the .OCX files then make that registry change to
change them to .OLD as mentioned previously.

4. Start Word97 and create and save an HTML page. Then close Word, restart Word and reopen that file and test editing and preview
and print and save.

5. If that works then close Word, repeat step #2 and install the WD97AU.EXE update. If you get the message about [Styles] in the
registry add the entries mentioned in the article you cited
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172502?FR=1

As to why the entries aren't there, keep in mind that Windows XP did not exist when Office 97 was created, but some of those issues
come about from simple things such as hiding the 'Network Neighborhood' icon in older versions of Windows. Interactions between
Programs and between Windows and Programs can be surprising. Be sure you're logged in as Administrator when installing the updates.

Speaking of updates, if you have Office 97 SR2, then the updates through Service Release SR2 are included on the CD. Microsoft no
longer provides Service Release Products, but rather Service Packs, which patch the products after installation.

==========
"Richard" wrote in message ...
It just looks as if Web Page Authoring (HTML) and HTML Text Conveter is
installed. But, the first registry entry I looked at, is incomplete as I
mention above.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[...]

I'm going to "power down" as it were, then "power up".

I'll do the stuff you said.

Basically unistall the whole of Office97.

Then reinstall, seeking course to make sure Web Page Authoring (HTML) and
HTML Text Converter are installed. Although they seem to be at present.

I have sr1off97 (SR1) and sr2bof97 (SR2) and wd97au (Word97 Autoupdate Web
Authoring Tools).

Presumably after installing Office97, run SR1, then SR2, then wd97au.

Would that order be correct? Maybe the order needs to be correcft???

I think the general idea is that those OCX files are somewhat red-herrings
as to the cause of why I cannot access Table Properties; Cell
Properties and Borders... .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Richard[_2_] Richard[_2_] is offline

Hi Bob

Success!. Although I have not as yet applied SR-1 and SR-2b. I'll try that
tomorrow.

I now got WORD97 to be my default HTML editor and to work perfectly
correctly.

Just in case other persons have a problem with getting WORD97 to work
properly on XP, basically this is what I did:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254250/

Using the above, after using ADD/REMOVE, and then manually deleting the
folders, files and registry keys mentioned - I completely removed Office97.

Using the above I removed SR-1.

SR2b is removed when Office 97 is removed.

I edited htmlmarq.ocz and htmlmm.ocx keys in the registry by altering the
file extentions to ".old". These keys are located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Image File
Execution Options

Then I reinstalled Office97.

I nearly gave up. But perceverance won the day. :c)

Of course, the problem may appear again after I install SR-1 and SR-2, and
Word97 Autoupdate Web Authoring Tools (wd97au.exe).

Things looked good when during install one is prompted to make WORD97 the
default HTML editor.

It looked like Web Page Authoring [html] was installed, but I don't believe
it was. And probably why Wd97au.exe would not install. I expect to install
wd97au.exe tommorrow. Rich