Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
don don is offline

Default Printing envelopes from a Works database

I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word (from
which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and open the
database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.; nothing readable or
printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The Works database is not compatible with Word - the best option is to
export the data from the database to a format that Word can use - ideally
comma delimited text or dbf.

Don wrote:
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
(from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
don don is offline

Graham:
Thank you for your prompt response. I hate to sound totally dumb but how do
I convert the Works database to this dbf type file? Another thought, is there
a similar database in Word 2002 that would permit me to sort certain
addressees, for example, and then print the envelopes with Word?
--
Don

Don wrote:
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
(from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't have Works to hand, but I seem to recall an option in the file menu
to 'save as'.
If you want to do it all in Word, then create a table containing the data -
see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

Don wrote:
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created
an address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to
print envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
(from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this
issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, if you have Word as part of Works Suite and have not uninstalled
the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word, I believe you *can* use a Works
database as a data source.

Don wrote:
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
(from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
don don is offline

Suzanne:
Thank you for the information. I have wandered all over the Microsoft
website looking for an MVP to help me with a Windows problem; my inability to
set up the sharing of a printer on a wireless network. Do you know how I may
contact an MVP who covers Windows XP/XP Pro?
--
Don

Don wrote:
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created an
address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to print
envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
(from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Post your question in a Windows newsgroup. There's a bunch of them in there.
;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Actually, if you have Word as part of Works Suite and have not
uninstalled
the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word, I believe you *can* use a
Works
database as a data source.

so
all may benefit.

Don wrote:
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have created
an
address list in a Works database. I wish to use this database to
print
envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to have a "Print
Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail Merge" in Word
(from which I can print the envelopes). However, when I do this and
open the database, it shows as a group of circles/squares/etc.;
nothing readable or printable. Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Access the Microsoft forums directly via Outlook Express
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm and you shouldn't have any difficulty
finding the one you want.

Don wrote:
Suzanne:
Thank you for the information. I have wandered all over the Microsoft
website looking for an MVP to help me with a Windows problem; my
inability to set up the sharing of a printer on a wireless network.
Do you know how I may contact an MVP who covers Windows XP/XP Pro?

Actually, if you have Word as part of Works Suite and have not
uninstalled the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word, I believe you
*can* use a Works database as a data source.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Don wrote:
I have both Works 2002 and Word 2002 on my computer. I have
created an address list in a Works database. I wish to use this
database to print envelopes. However, since Works does not seem to
have a "Print Envelopes/Labels" option, I am forced to do a "Mail
Merge" in Word (from which I can print the envelopes). However,
when I do this and open the database, it shows as a group of
circles/squares/etc.; nothing readable or printable. Can you help
me to resolve this issue?

Envelopes printing in blue? Default setting is BLACK caswb Microsoft Word Help 5 August 31st 06 12:08 AM
Strange problem with printing envelopes after new printer installa MeWivFree Microsoft Word Help 0 June 30th 06 11:32 AM
Font, Color and Size won't stay when printing envelopes Alissa Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 05 06:19 AM
Printing Envelopes Lo Mailmerge 1 November 18th 05 04:36 PM
Printing Envelopes from a data base Jean Stockham Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 04 01:05 PM