Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Smith Tom Smith is offline

Default Giant header box on just one page in document

Word 2003 under Win XP

I was sent a document to edit (which included some mark-up) that had a
mysterious gap on the last page (a gap followed by some text) that I was
unable to delete. On checking headers/footers I discovered that the header
on the last page was three-four times the size of the other headers.

No section breaks in the document, and absolutely nothing I could find in
the header box itself.

I was able to clean up the problem by copying all of the document except the
final para mark into a new document. That seemed to produce a well-behaved
document.

Does anyone know what this could have been? Corrupted document, perhaps?

Thanks for any ideas. Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cookie Cookie is offline

I'm having the exact same issue!! I find that on the pages where the
header increases in size (even though there is no information in the
header) is when the page it appears on includes text boxes at the top
of the page.

I'm wondering if that is also your problem, or if I've got something
else going on.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Smith Tom Smith is offline

No, that's not true with the document I worked on. There were no text boxes.
However, what I had was part of a larger document that has been edited and
commented extensively. Perhaps that somehow got involved. Tom

"Cookie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm having the exact same issue!! I find that on the pages where the
header increases in size (even though there is no information in the
header) is when the page it appears on includes text boxes at the top
of the page.

I'm wondering if that is also your problem, or if I've got something
else going on.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Smith Tom Smith is offline

Hi, thanks. I tried your fix, and it cleaned up the errant header size
immediately. Tom

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Tom Smith wrote:

Word 2003 under Win XP

I was sent a document to edit (which included some mark-up) that had a
mysterious gap on the last page (a gap followed by some text) that I was
unable to delete. On checking headers/footers I discovered that the
header on the last page was three-four times the size of the other
headers.

No section breaks in the document, and absolutely nothing I could find in
the header box itself.

I was able to clean up the problem by copying all of the document except
the final para mark into a new document. That seemed to produce a
well-behaved document.

Does anyone know what this could have been? Corrupted document, perhaps?

Thanks for any ideas. Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Smith Tom Smith is offline

Yeah, I did, and that did fix the document. I must say, though, that I'm not
sure what that is, or how it affects the size of headers. But yes, thanks, I
did that.

Tom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Did you check the vertical alignment as suggested?

so
all may benefit.

"Cookie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm having the exact same issue!! I find that on the pages where the
header increases in size (even though there is no information in the
header) is when the page it appears on includes text boxes at the top
of the page.

I'm wondering if that is also your problem, or if I've got something
else going on.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When vertical alignment is set to Center, typing begins in the middle of the
page and expands up and down from there. Word gives you a clue that this
will happen by increasing the apparent header size. A little lame, yes, but
very distinctive (making it fairly easy to troubleshoot from a description).

"Tom Smith" tomDOTsmith68AT@verizonDOTnet wrote in message
Yeah, I did, and that did fix the document. I must say, though, that I'm

not
sure what that is, or how it affects the size of headers. But yes, thanks,

did that.

Tom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Did you check the vertical alignment as suggested?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Cookie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm having the exact same issue!! I find that on the pages where the
header increases in size (even though there is no information in the
header) is when the page it appears on includes text boxes at the top
of the page.

I'm wondering if that is also your problem, or if I've got something
else going on.

Thanks!

I want to start Page '1' on the 3rd page. HOW???????? HELP????? marthamemphis Page Layout 11 October 3rd 06 12:30 AM
Header and Footer MoPete99 Microsoft Word Help 20 July 25th 06 11:07 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
preview odd number pages on the right and even on the left mikeo Page Layout 6 February 26th 05 12:26 AM
Unchecking 'different first page' in header removes graphic from first page Denise Page Layout 4 November 26th 04 11:36 AM