Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Default Exporting a table into Access2003.

I have Word/Access2003.

With a scanner I have successfully converted
a table in a book into a table in Word2003.

I want to transfer this Word2003 table into a
table in Access2003.

Please help, Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Frank,

I have Word/Access2003.

With a scanner I have successfully converted
a table in a book into a table in Word2003.

I want to transfer this Word2003 table into a
table in Access2003.

Select the table. Table/Convert/Table to Text. Save as a
plain text file (make sure there's nothing else in the
document!). The result will be a standard delimited text
file which Access should be able to import.

Caveat: if the table cells contain paragraph marks you'll
need to remove them (or replace them with something else)
before converting to text. The record delimiter is a
paragraph and you can't change that.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Thank you. I figured it out, but there is
one annoying problem.

The table I have scanned from the book fills
the page in an up/down mode thought there is
still only two columns to the table.

Access2003 thinks that there are as many
fields as there are columns on the page.

How do I fix this? The scan comes out as a
RTF table in Word2003 with many columns, so
how do I get an only-two column table from
many? Cutting the extra columns and trying
to paste them to the first two does not work.

Regards, Frank

"Cindy M." wrote in
message news:VA.00000579.0093aee2@speedy...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Frank,

The table I have scanned from the book fills
the page in an up/down mode thought there is
still only two columns to the table.

Access2003 thinks that there are as many
fields as there are columns on the page.

How do I fix this? The scan comes out as a
RTF table in Word2003 with many columns, so
how do I get an only-two column table from
many? Cutting the extra columns and trying
to paste them to the first two does not work.

If the scan gives you a table with many columns, then
you're going to need to do some work to break it down.
Please describe how "cutting the extra columns and trying
to paste them to the first two" doesn't work. The term
"doesn't work" is much too general to give us an idea what
could help...