Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Falango Pat Falango is offline

Default Table Cell Number Format

I have a table that has a DATE column. I want to be able to enter a date in
a cell in that column in any format, e.g. 10/12/06 or October 12, 2006 or
10-12-2006, and have Word reformat it automatically to 12-Oct-2006. Is that
possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Pat,

I have a table that has a DATE column. I want to be able to enter a date in
a cell in that column in any format, e.g. 10/12/06 or October 12, 2006 or
10-12-2006, and have Word reformat it automatically to 12-Oct-2006. Is that
possible?

Word isn't designed to support automatic date or number formatting, such as
Excel has. Only by running a macro at some point can you change the text (you
have to actually change the text, same as you'd type it in).

If you have to enter a lot of data, it might make more sense to type it into
Excel, then display it in Word by copying the table, the pasting it into Word
with a link.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org