DavidR194

Default add multiple words to custom dictionary Microsoft Word

I know how to add a single word to the custom dictionary, but what if I have
a whole text file list of words that I want added? Isn't there a better way
instead of adding them one at a time and taking all day with it ? It seems
like there should be some way to import a text file wordlist, or a csv
wordlist. Anyone know how ?
TF

The Custom Dictionary is just a list of words in plain text. Simply open
custom.dic and paste in a list of Words and sort into alphabetical order.
However, don't exceed the 1000 entry file size.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"DavidR194" wrote in message
:I know how to add a single word to the custom dictionary, but what if I
have
: a whole text file list of words that I want added? Isn't there a better
way
: instead of adding them one at a time and taking all day with it ? It
seems
: like there should be some way to import a text file wordlist, or a csv
: wordlist. Anyone know how ?

DavidR194

Thanks ! That will save a bunch of time. Could you please clarify...the
"1000 entry file size"... does that mean you can't import more than 1000
words at a time or the words can't be longer than 1000 characters...or ???

--David

"DavidR194" wrote in message
:I know how to add a single word to the custom dictionary, but what if I
have
: a whole text file list of words that I want added? Isn't there a better
way
: instead of adding them one at a time and taking all day with it ? It
seems
: like there should be some way to import a text file wordlist, or a csv
: wordlist. Anyone know how ?

TF

David

I didn't make that too clear did I! I meant that only 1000 words can be in a
custom.dic. However, as you probably realise, you can create more
custom.dics.

Terry

"DavidR194" wrote in message
news : Thanks ! That will save a bunch of time. Could you please clarify...the
: "1000 entry file size"... does that mean you can't import more than 1000
: words at a time or the words can't be longer than 1000 characters...or ???
:
: --David
:
:
:
: "TF" wrote:
:
: The Custom Dictionary is just a list of words in plain text. Simply open
: custom.dic and paste in a list of Words and sort into alphabetical
order.
: However, don't exceed the 1000 entry file size.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "DavidR194" wrote in message
: ...
: :I know how to add a single word to the custom dictionary, but what if I
: have
: : a whole text file list of words that I want added? Isn't there a
better
: way
: : instead of adding them one at a time and taking all day with it ? It
: seems
: : like there should be some way to import a text file wordlist, or a csv
: : wordlist. Anyone know how ?
:
:
:

Bob S

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:22:47 -0000, "TF"
terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:

The Custom Dictionary is just a list of words in plain text. Simply open
custom.dic and paste in a list of Words and sort into alphabetical order.
However, don't exceed the 1000 entry file size.

Comments below apply to the English spell checker for Word 2000 and
later; others may differ...

There is no limit in Word 2000 and later. One user reported using a
custom dictionary containing over 160,000 words.

When adding words, you should generally use lower case. If you use any
capital letters in the entry, the entry will match only text words
with the same capital letters.

It is possible to add plural forms of initialisms (acronyms) to the
custom dictionary, e.g. "PDFs". This is the only way to keep them from
being flagged.

Adding hyphenated words is tricky. If Word thinks that some of the
pieces are correctly-spelled words, it will probably not allow you to
add the entire hyphenated "word". If none of the pieces are
recognized, it may allow you to add the item.

The dictionary will also accept words with slashes or with straight
apostrophes. Other punctuation may or may not work.

Avoid any characters not in the code page 1252.

A word may not contain more than 64 characters.

Sorting is not required and duplicate entries do not hurt; the next
time that you add a word using Word's dialogs, the list will be sorted
and duplicates will be eliminated by Word.

Bob S

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Magoo

You say there's no limit, but I keep getting a message that the dictionary is
full (Office2003). I tried creating a custom2.dic, that didn't work. I
tried making custom2.dic the default dictionary, that didn't work. So then I
tried opening a different Word document. It appears to be document specific.
If I open a second document, I can add a word to the dictionary (whether or
not the first document is open at the same time. But I can't add anything
from the document that I'm in. I've exited and restarted Word, same problem.
Haven't tried rebooting yet. Any idea what the message and inability to add
a word is all about? Thanks.

"Bob S" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The message is bogus. See €œYou receive an error message when you add a word
to the custom dictionary in Word 2003€
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813996

"Bob S" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:41:22 -0600 from Suzanne S. Barnhill
:
The message is bogus. See ?You receive an error message when you add a word
to the custom dictionary in Word 2003?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813996

Typo in the URL?

"The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not
Available"

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"Do I smell the revolting stench of self-esteem?"
-- Jon Lovitz, in /The Producers/ (2005)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:08:42 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:41:22 -0600 from Suzanne S. Barnhill
:
The message is bogus. See ?You receive an error message when you add a word
to the custom dictionary in Word 2003?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813996

Typo in the URL?

"The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not
Available"

Arggh... Somebody at Microsoft is apparently assigned to take pages
offline at random. ;-)

There are nearly identical pages for Word 2000 and Word 2002 at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224035 and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291176.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:46:18 -0500 from Jay Freedman
:
Arggh... Somebody at Microsoft is apparently assigned to take pages
offline at random. ;-)

"To serve you better, we reorganize our site every few months, and
we're too clueless to put redirects in our server configuration
files."

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"Do I smell the revolting stench of self-esteem?"
-- Jon Lovitz, in /The Producers/ (2005)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 00:51:14 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:46:18 -0500 from Jay Freedman
:
Arggh... Somebody at Microsoft is apparently assigned to take pages
offline at random. ;-)

"To serve you better, we reorganize our site every few months, and
we're too clueless to put redirects in our server configuration
files."

I don't think it's a question of a redirect, because it doesn't show
up in a Google search (which is usually both faster and more thorough
than using Microsoft's search engine). Either that article is
completely offline or it was moved so recently that Google hasn't
found it yet.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Magoo

Thanks for the kb ref and for the included tip on Google searching since I
missed the article in the KB first time through before I posted.

The first fix in the KB article doesn't work in my case. I didn't try the
second, I just tried the old standby of rebooting figuring something in the
bowels of the machine was screwed up. That fixed the problem. The Word file
that wasn't allowing be to add words to the dictionary, now allows me to do
so, as do other Word files. We'll see if it reoccurs.

"Bob S" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, it's amazing how many problems can be cleared simply by restarting
Windows!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The message is bogus. See €œYou receive an error message when you add a

word
to the custom dictionary in Word 2003€
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813996

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bob S" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dana Dana is offline

The word list should be a text file with the suffix .dic

The file can be located anywhere but you would have point to it by "adding"
a custom dictionary - tools, options, spelling and grammar, custom
dictionaries

(By the way, because of all the abbreviations in a medical dictionary, I
turn off the "ignore words in uppercase".

Better to place it in the C:\documents and settings\your name\application
data\microsoft\proof directory

Then go to your spell checking options for custom dictionary (see above).
The file you placed should be there. Make sure it's checked.

For myself I keep my medical dictionary on my flash drive and take it with
me. That way when I use Word on the school computer doing medical
transcription, I direct the custom dictionary there and my medical dictionary
is available to me.