Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike Mike is offline

Default Unable to use "enter" key

I'm working with a data application which uses MS Word and mail merge for
letters. My database is Microsoft SQL server.

If I open Word directly (just normal word-processing), everything works fine.

When I type information into my database, the mail merge function works
excellent as long as I do not use the €śenter€ť key. If I use the enter key
when imputing data, I receive the following 2 messages:

1. Header Record Delimters
Data fields must be separated from each other by a character called a field
delimeter. Similarly, data records must be separated by a record delimeter.

2. Word was unable to open the data source.

The mail merge works perfect if I do not use the €śenter€ť key.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
--
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Try using Shift+Enter instead.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm working with a data application which uses MS Word and mail merge for
letters. My database is Microsoft SQL server.

If I open Word directly (just normal word-processing), everything works
fine.

When I type information into my database, the mail merge function works
excellent as long as I do not use the "enter" key. If I use the enter key
when imputing data, I receive the following 2 messages:

1. Header Record Delimters
Data fields must be separated from each other by a character called a
field
delimeter. Similarly, data records must be separated by a record
delimeter.

2. Word was unable to open the data source.

The mail merge works perfect if I do not use the "enter" key.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
--
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike Mike is offline

I continue to have the same problem when I use Shift + enter.

any other suggestions?
--
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike Mike is offline

Word 2003 Small Business Edition
--
Mike

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Which version of Word?

Peter Jamieson
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike Mike is offline

To clarify the above:
I can enter 100 characters into my database without prolbems, and the mail
merge works wonderful.

But, If I enter 50 characters "enter" and another 50 characters, than I
encounter this error.

I appreciate your assistance
--
Mike

"Mike" wrote:

I'm working with a data application which uses MS Word and mail merge for
letters. My database is Microsoft SQL server.

If I open Word directly (just normal word-processing), everything works fine.

When I type information into my database, the mail merge function works
excellent as long as I do not use the €śenter€ť key. If I use the enter key
when imputing data, I receive the following 2 messages:

1. Header Record Delimters
Data fields must be separated from each other by a character called a field
delimeter. Similarly, data records must be separated by a record delimeter.

2. Word was unable to open the data source.

The mail merge works perfect if I do not use the €śenter€ť key.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
--
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It's unusual that you get a message about "header" delimiters these days.
Are you using a prepackaged Word applicaiton of some kind?

If you start with a completely blank document in Word 2003 and try to
connect to the same data source (you'll probably need to use a .odc file),
do you still see the same message?

Peter Jamieson
"Mike" wrote in message
news
Word 2003 Small Business Edition
--
Mike

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Which version of Word?

Peter Jamieson
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Going back to your original post, as you say you are getting these error
messages when you are entering data and one of them is that "Word cannot
open the datasource", it sounds like you are trying to update the
information in the datasource when that is attached to the mail merge main
document in Word. Is that correct?

It seems to me that it is quite likely a problem with the field definition
in the SQL Server database, but sorry, I am getting out of my depth here.