woody

Default mailmerge to email - runs great, but no emails sent

I am running a mail merge in Word2003. pulling adressee and email address
from an excel file.
- Merges all look fine.
-"Merge to Email" works fine, I"m being asked all the right questions and it
goes to EOJ with no errors
-I have OUTLOOK2003 installed
-I'm sending to myself as a test ( and am receiving OTHER emails OK )

in short everything seems to be working perfectly, except the emails are not
going out.

I would greatly appreciate any help

regards
Peter Jamieson

You may be better off asking this in an Outlook group.

Although I have seen this question come up from time to time, and have
experienced the same problem myself, I have never been able to work out
exactly what causes the problem. The main suggestions a
a. ensure that Outlook 2003 is set up as the default e-mail package in e.g.
Internet Explorer|Tools|Internet Options|Programs
b. if you have multiple e-mail profiles (and if you don't know what
profiles are, then you probably don't have multiple profiles :-) ), that may
be the cause of the problem
c. do the e-mails disappear altogether, i.e. never even appear in the
Outbox, or do they appear in the Outbox? If the latter, do they have the
"Sent" date set to "None" ? I experience this quite a lot even when I'm not
using mailmerge. I haven't found a solution to that either but
- finding and running the Outlook .pst integrity checker, scanpst.exe,
sometimes makes a difference - on my system it's in C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
- I have heard that this problem could be related to certain addins, e.g.
Norton AntiSpam.

If you do find a solution please can you post back here?

Peter Jamieson

"woody" wrote in message
I am running a mail merge in Word2003. pulling adressee and email address
from an excel file.
- Merges all look fine.
-"Merge to Email" works fine, I"m being asked all the right questions and
it
goes to EOJ with no errors
-I have OUTLOOK2003 installed
-I'm sending to myself as a test ( and am receiving OTHER emails OK )

in short everything seems to be working perfectly, except the emails are
not
going out.

I would greatly appreciate any help

regards

woody

Hi Peter

thanks so much for getting back to me. let me work through the suggestions :

a - yes, outlook is the default
b - yes, I have 2 profiles. However , I tried deleting one and it still
didn't work
c - yes, they disappear altogether. they never appear in outbox or sent
d - I found SCANPST, but it's asking what file to scan, and I haven't a clue

deep sigh !!

I'll take your first suggestion, and try in an Outlook group

I appreciate the help

regards

"woody" wrote in message
I am running a mail merge in Word2003. pulling adressee and email address
from an excel file.
- Merges all look fine.
-"Merge to Email" works fine, I"m being asked all the right questions and
it
goes to EOJ with no errors
-I have OUTLOOK2003 installed
-I'm sending to myself as a test ( and am receiving OTHER emails OK )

in short everything seems to be working perfectly, except the emails are
not
going out.

I would greatly appreciate any help

regards

Peter Jamieson

Your best bet is still probably an Outlook group (even more so than before,
as you will probably realise as you read this :-) ) but...
a. the problem when you have more than one profile is, I suspect, that if
Word is logged into one profile (let's call it "the default") when it sends
the e-mails,
- when you open Outlook using a different profile, you will not see them
- as far as I can tell, Outlook needs to be open with the appropriate
profile for the e-mails to be despatched
b. there are, I suspect, 2 different understandings within Windows about
what a "default mail profile" actually is. The reason I suspect this is that
certain things /always/ ask you whether you want to set the current profile
to be the deafult, even though you have done it plenty of times before.
c. /my/ .pst is at

C:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

where my user name is actually my Windows user name. However, there are so
many different ways that Outlook can be set up that I am not sure that that
info. will be relevent for you.

Peter Jamieson