Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Art Farrell

Default 2000 to 2002 macro and "Could not open macro storage"

Hi,

I've been using Excel since 1.1 around '87 and have written many macros.
Earlier this year I set up a macro in Word 2000 to merge various Excel
address lists. Since I know zilch about Word I copied most of the info from
an MS KB article and modified it. I had problems it getting it to pick from
more than one file so I went in this NG and I got this squib of code (from
Cindy Meister, I think):

With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
iOKCancel = .Display
sUserInput = .Name
End With

and I changed the statement in the macro to:

.OpenDataSource Name:=sUserInput, Connection:="Entire Spreadsheet"

This worked great since I was using it at a community library where I
volunteer and they had W'98 and Office 2000. A month ago they upgraded their
computer system and had to go to new computers with W'XP and Office 2002.
When I tried the macro at their location it wouldn't work, but I could
access the macro. After searching the NG's I thought I had found the
solution. I had to check the "Confirm conversion at Open" box and change the
statement to:

..OpenDataSource Name:=sUserInput, Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto,
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000, Connection:="Entire Spreadsheet"

This may not be correct because I went to the library today and opened the
Word MailMerge document. When I actuated the button I had previouly assigned
on the toolbar to start the macro I got the message:

"Could not open macro storage"

I hit ALT-F11 to look at the macro and of course it wasn't there. Since I
came home I looked at NG answers and some KB articles but I'm not
comfortable with what they tell me. The computer has plenty of RAM and I
don't want to reinstall Office since it's not my computer. Is there an
easier way or should I just take the text of the macro and reinstall it in a
module of the Word workbook?

CHORDially,
Art Farrell