Karen

Default Inserting Merge Fields

Using Word 2003.

Say I'm entering merge fields for an inside address on a letter, I click on
the "Insert Merge Fields" tool and I then click on the merge field I want
inserted. Unless I close the merge fields selection box, I am unable to do
anything in my letter, like press [enter] to go to the next line of the
address so that I can enter another merge field. Which means I have to add a
merge field, close the box, move to the next line of the address, open the
merge fields tools, select the next merge field, close the window, etc.

This can't be right, can it?

Using the address block option doesn't allow for the addition of the
addressee's title or position.

Karen

A resource that this board directed me to indicates to go ahead and just
enter all the merge fields at once and not worry about placement right now.
Which I did. However, when I go back into my document to place the merge
fields, no matter what I do, the final merged product has the merge fields
all on one line, like they were entered when I selected them from the merge
fields toos, even though they don't look like that in my merge document. This
is SO frustrating. I've not merged very much in Word 2003, but have done it
extensively in prior versions and don't ever remember this headache!

"Karen" wrote:

Using Word 2003.

Say I'm entering merge fields for an inside address on a letter, I click on
the "Insert Merge Fields" tool and I then click on the merge field I want
inserted. Unless I close the merge fields selection box, I am unable to do
anything in my letter, like press [enter] to go to the next line of the
address so that I can enter another merge field. Which means I have to add a
merge field, close the box, move to the next line of the address, open the
merge fields tools, select the next merge field, close the window, etc.

This can't be right, can it?

Using the address block option doesn't allow for the addition of the
addressee's title or position.

Doug Robbins

You should find it easier to re-arrange the mergefields if you use Alt+F9 to
toggle on the display of field codes.

Alternatively, take a look at fellow MVP Cindy Meisters website at :

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

She has a modal replacement for the Insert Mergefields dialog that allows
you to swap backwards and forwards between the dialog and the document.
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP