Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Default I want to omit a field in a mail merge

I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only have their
Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName in the merge as I
use it for a large amount of other documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't use the
Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there another way of doing
it?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For any of your question to be relevant you must be using the AddressBlock
field. Don't! Insert the individual fields as you require them. You can then
use a conditional field to insert the FirstName field when a condition
applies eg
{IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield FirstName}"}

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Graham,

I have tried it with the AddressBlock. Unfortunately I have a number of
fields and cannot match them in the Required Information Match Fields
dialagoe box resulting in a lot of my information being omitted. I have
tried matching them in the Optional Information but this does not appear.

Unfortunately I cannot insert the fields after the AddressBlock as these
fields are required after the LastName and before Address1.

EMC

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I said don't used the AddressBlock! Remove the addressblock field from the
document and use instead the individual fields that make up the address

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Graham,

Sorry - my head is full of mince today!

I'm afraid I'm not too clued up on mail merges and don't know what a
conditional field is. Can you please elaborate on this for me? My data
source is coming from Access in case that is a problem.

EMC

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A conditional (IF) field is one that inserts (or fails to insert)
information when the condition applies. The example I quoted earlier
{IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield FirstName}"}
inserts the FirstName field when the firstname is anything other than Fred.
You have not said what conditions apply that you should omit the firstname.
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm should give you some
background to merges generally, but if you tell us what the relevant
fieldnames are and what conditions apply when you wish to insert them, I'll
tell you what to enter.
That data source is irrelevant. It is the fieldnames that matter and how you
want to display them.

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their
FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other
documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I
can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is
there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

In my Prefix I have Mr/Mrs/Miss/Sir/Lady, FirstName as you would expect along
with Surname. However, as several records have Lady as the Prefix these must
only be addressed with the Prefix and Surname, ie they cannot be addressed as
Lady Jane Brown, they must be addressed as Lady[Prefix] Brown[Surname].
That's why I would like the merge to omit the FirstName and only insert the
Prefix and Surname in the documentation.

I hope this explanation helps.

EMC

PS I tried the http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm link
but it isn't working.

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their
FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other
documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I
can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is
there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Remove that AddressBlock field (display with ALT+F9)
Using CTRL+F9 for each pair of brackets {} enter the following

{Mergefield Prefix} {IF{Mergefield Prefix} "Lady" " {Mergefield
FirstName}"} {Mergefield Surname}

Note the space between the quotes and {Mergefield FirstName} and the space
before {Mergefield Surname}. The rest is all entered on the same line (even
if it appears broken in this post).
Your address fields can follow as required.
Press Alt+F9 to display the results and merge to a new document.

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should
only have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their
FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other
documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I
can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is
there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Fantastic Graham, I have got it to work.

However, there is one slight tweak needed. As some of the entries don't
have a Prefix there is a space before their FirstName. Before you showed me
how to do this, in the Insert Word Field I had "If Prefix is not blank" in
the 'Insert this text' box I put a space and a space was created. Where
would I put this now?

EMC

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should
only have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their
FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other
documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I
can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is
there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It needs a slight reshuffle and an extra conditional:

{ IF{ Mergefield Prefix } "" "{ Mergefield Prefix } " }{ IF{ Mergefield

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

A conditional (IF) field is one that inserts (or fails to insert)
information when the condition applies. The example I quoted
earlier {IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield
FirstName}"} inserts the FirstName field when the firstname is

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should
only have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have
their FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount
of other documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I
can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire record.
Is there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

This is working a treat, however...

as some in the database do not have a Prefix or FirstName (don't ask) they
are addressed by their surname. I have tried to apply the logic below by
adding { IF{ Mergefield FirstName } "" "{ Mergefield FirstName } " } but
unfortunately when I do this it replicates the FirstName.

EMC

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should
only have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have
their FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount
of other documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I
can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire record.
Is there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

But where did you put the conditional field? It should be nested eg

{ IF{ Mergefield Prefix } "" "{ Mergefield Prefix } " }{ IF{ Mergefield
Prefix} "Lady" "{ IF{ Mergefield FirstName } "" "{ Mergefield

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should
only have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have
their FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount
of other documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and
I can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire
record. Is there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Amazingly I did have it in the right place but didn't have two the extra "}.

Many thanks again for this. It has been a great help.

EMC

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should
only have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have
their FirstName in the merge as I use it for a large amount
of other documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and
I can't use the Skip button as this is for the entire
record. Is there another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are welcome

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

But where did you put the conditional field? It should be nested eg

{ IF{ Mergefield Prefix } "" "{ Mergefield Prefix } " }{ IF{
Mergefield Prefix} "Lady" "{ IF{ Mergefield FirstName } "" "{

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

A conditional (IF) field is one that inserts (or fails to
insert) information when the condition applies. The example I
quoted earlier {IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield