Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anderflash Anderflash is offline

Default Word cannot update the index

"Word cannot update the index" is an error when I create an Index and a form
in the same document. When I protect the form and write any value at the form
controls, this error happens.
Is there a solution to that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As far as I can see you get that when you set the form fields to "Calculate
on Exit" and it doesn't look as if there's much you can do about it if you
have to have Calculate on Exit - e.g. putting the Index in an unprotected
section isn't enough. (You seem to be able to use exit macros OK, but then
that's a different thing).

Could you do something like programmatically change the { INDEX } field so
it is e.g.

{ SET INDEX whatever }

then when the form is complete, programmatically change it back to {
INDEX }? Haven't tried it, but it's the only thing I can think of right now.

Peter Jamieson
"Anderflash" wrote in message
"Word cannot update the index" is an error when I create an Index and a
form
in the same document. When I protect the form and write any value at the
form
controls, this error happens.
Is there a solution to that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anderflash Anderflash is offline

So, with your suggestion, the only way to avoid this error is making a macro
with a loop on the fields of the document and testing if the type of the
field is wdFieldIndex. Else, update the field. Finally, the macro should be
in the option "On exit" of the text fields.

Thanks for the suggestion.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

So, with your suggestion, the only way to avoid this error is making a
macro
with a loop on the fields of the document and testing if the type of the
field is wdFieldIndex.

Not really. It seems to me that if you have Calculate on Exit, Word will try
to update any INDEX field automatically, so you have to avoid having any
INDEX field while the form is being filled in. You could either chnage the
field type temporarily along the lines I suggest (in which case it probably
wouldn't be detected as a wdFieldIndex field - or insert the necessary field
when the form has been completed. However, that assumes that it is possible
to detect when the user has finished filling in the form, and of course, if
they have the opportunity to "finish", then continue editing after all, you
need to be able to detect that. I suppose I'd probably opt for some kind of
"Finish/Continue" button and hang an update macro on that.