Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
daevczen daevczen is offline

Default Footnote Salad

I must apply a single uniform footnote style to a document containing
over 600 footnotes. The document is pasted together from different
documents, some imported from Works. While the footnote reference
numbers appear to be correct in the body of text above, they are all
different below at the bottom of the page: some are 12 pt superscript
instead of 10 pt superscript , and others are not superscript at all.
Also, it would appear that one of the authors applied direct formatting
to some footnotes in an attempt to correct the problem.

How do I change all footnote numbering to appear 10pt superscript?

Thanks very much

--
daevczen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Using Find and Replace you can remove direct font formatting (unfortunately
including the Footnote Reference style) from the footnote references and
then reapply the Footnote Reference style (this assumes that the Footnote
Text style is 10-pt). This will take two F&R operations:

1. On the first run-through, search for ^f. Leave the Replace With box blank
or use ^&. Click More to expand the dialog and choose Format | Style |
Default Paragraph Font.

2. On the next run, search for ^f and replace with the Footnote Reference
style.

This will be most efficient if you start the search in the footnote area or
pane.

"daevczen" wrote in message

I must apply a single uniform footnote style to a document containing
over 600 footnotes. The document is pasted together from different
documents, some imported from Works. While the footnote reference
numbers appear to be correct in the body of text above, they are all
different below at the bottom of the page: some are 12 pt superscript
instead of 10 pt superscript , and others are not superscript at all.
Also, it would appear that one of the authors applied direct formatting
to some footnotes in an attempt to correct the problem.

How do I change all footnote numbering to appear 10pt superscript?

Thanks very much

--
daevczen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
daevczen[_2_] daevczen[_2_] is offline

Thanks Suzanne, that seems to have worked perfectly.

So how I understand it, a footnote number won't go "lost" just by
removing its style, yes?
^f in the search function means the footnote fields, I guess. And ^&
would mean what, the same?

Again, thanks a lot Suzanne

--
daevczen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Yes, ^f is the footnote reference mark, and ^& is "Find What Text," so using
it just reinserts whatever was selected by the Find (though I don't think
that's required here). Both of these are on the menu you get when you click
Special in the Replace dialog.

"daevczen" wrote in message

Thanks Suzanne, that seems to have worked perfectly.

So how I understand it, a footnote number won't go "lost" just by
removing its style, yes?
^f in the search function means the footnote fields, I guess. And ^&
would mean what, the same?

Again, thanks a lot Suzanne

--
daevczen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Hi Suzanne,

I think 1. is not necessary? Applying a character style clobbers any manual
font formatting anyway.

Regards,
Klaus

"daevczen" wrote in message

I must apply a single uniform footnote style to a document containing
over 600 footnotes. The document is pasted together from different
documents, some imported from Works. While the footnote reference
numbers appear to be correct in the body of text above, they are all
different below at the bottom of the page: some are 12 pt superscript
instead of 10 pt superscript , and others are not superscript at all.
Also, it would appear that one of the authors applied direct formatting
to some footnotes in an attempt to correct the problem.

How do I change all footnote numbering to appear 10pt superscript?

Thanks very much

--
daevczen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I would think so, but I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to experiment on
any of my current docs. Given that the Footnote Reference style is Default
Paragraph Font + Superscript, I worried that applying the style might just
apply Superscript over any existing formatting (even if the existing
formatting was *not* the DPF).