Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Frustrated Word User[_4_] Frustrated Word User[_4_] is offline

Default Delete All Bookmarks

I would like to delete all the bookmarks in a document.

YES I read the ONE post about this, and I don't know what a VBA is.
Sorry, Word is not my forte.

Thanks in advance.

Frustrated in Roseville

--
Frustrated Word User
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

VBA stands for Visual Basic for Applications. Basically, it's the
programming language that Word, Excel, etc. uses for writing macros.

The short answer is that Word does not have a built-in way to delete all
bookmarks in one fell swoop. So, you either do it from the Bookmark
dialog -- one at a time--or you write a macro to automate it... assuming you
don't want to lose any formatting or features.

Another choice would be to convert (Save As) the document into a format that
does not support bookmarks (such as Microsoft Works), and then convert it
back into Word format. Depending on how the document is set up, you would
lose some formatting.

Still another choice would be to copy the contents to the clipboard, paste
it into a blank Wordpad document, copy to the clipboard again, and then
paste into a new Word document.

There are a number of variations on this theme. You would have to experiment
to see which method preserves most of what you want preserved.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Frustrated Word User" m
wrote in message news:Frustrated.Word.User.25d7a85@officefrustratio n.com...

I would like to delete all the bookmarks in a document.

YES I read the ONE post about this, and I don't know what a VBA is.
Sorry, Word is not my forte.

Thanks in advance.

Frustrated in Roseville

--
Frustrated Word User

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jerry George Jerry George is offline

You can simply try running a macro,

Dim bkm As Bookmark
For Each bkm In ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
bkm.Delete
Next bkm

Note that this does not delete the hidden bookmarks.

If you have multiple files you can use file io to list the directory and
then open each file and iterate the above code snippet using simple word
interop. If you need more help, just give me a holla..

Jerry George
Tata Consultancy Service Ltd.
Software Engineer