Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
vbevan vbevan is offline

Default Moving subdocuments to a different folder

Hi all,

Is there and easy was to move a master document and it's subdocuments
to a different folder but have them maintain their relationships?

Fairly easy question, but I can't seem to find an answer (I did google
a bit, but I can't believe you need 3rd party software to accomplish
this, surely there's an easier way?).

--
vbevan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

See:

http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/...documents.html

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"vbevan" wrote in message

Hi all,

Is there and easy was to move a master document and it's subdocuments
to a different folder but have them maintain their relationships?

Fairly easy question, but I can't seem to find an answer (I did google
a bit, but I can't believe you need 3rd party software to accomplish
this, surely there's an easier way?).

--
vbevan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dan Dan is offline

NOT helpful, and does not appear to be correct.

First, you did not answer the question. It seems that the ANSWER should
have been "No, Not without third party software. see link for more info..."

Second, I had already located the reference prior to locating this site.
Bad luck there. oh well.

Third, the reference does not seem to be correct/accurate.

The reference you provided indicates that:
"For instance, let's say that you have a master and five subdocuments. If
these are all in the same directory, you can easily move them to another
single directory anywhere you desire. All you need to do is move them."

I have a master document with 14 subdocuments (and growing) The master and
all sub documents were created in a single directory, "P:\Documents\Master".
The entire contents of that directory were then copied to "C:\MasterTest".
The original drive, 'P:' was then disconnected (encrypted network drive).
The master document opened, but all the links to the sub documents were
broken, yet all documents were confirmed present.

"vbevan" wrote in message

Hi all,

Is there and easy was to move a master document and it's subdocuments
to a different folder but have them maintain their relationships?

Fairly easy question, but I can't seem to find an answer (I did google
a bit, but I can't believe you need 3rd party software to accomplish
this, surely there's an easier way?).

--
vbevan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

Dan wrote in

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
"vbevan" wrote in message

[...]

That Doug is terrible isn't he - I wouldn't pay him if I were you.

--
PeterMcC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi Dan

Dan wrote:
[..]
Second, I had already located the reference prior to locating this site.
Bad luck there. oh well.

so you are the OP? You/he wants us to guess everything you had located
before posting here? It's good practice to _mention_ all the things
you've already tried ... But not even the version of Word is mentioned ...

Third, the reference does not seem to be correct/accurate.

The reference you provided indicates that:
"For instance, let's say that you have a master and five subdocuments. If
these are all in the same directory, you can easily move them to another
single directory anywhere you desire. All you need to do is move them."

FWIW, I just tried a simple example like this (Word 2007, copying master
and all subs from one folder to another). After opening the copy, the
subs show us links (to the copied subs). But Pizza button | Print |
Print Preview brings up a window asking to expand them -- voilĂ*.

Anyway, I guess you are aware of the "standard disclaimer" concerning
Master/Subdocuments?

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote in

I'm assuming that was "tongue in cheek".

I'd like to think the OP worked it out as well.

But as far as currency is
concerned, I received exactly what I had asked for ($0.00)

And a bargain at twice the price

--
PeterMcC