Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nit_Wit_400 Nit_Wit_400 is offline

Default Really odd -- only 255 characters merged...

I'm using Office 2003 Excel as a database to merge into a Office 2003
Word document.

My mergefields are all fairly large, and all but one of them are
allowing all the characters to be merged (some are upwards of 1000
characters)

The one that isn't merging all the characters is only allowing 255
(with spaces) -- no matter what I put in the cell... It's really
annoying. 255 sounds like a very "computer" number, so I'm not really
sure where to look for this type of problem, whether it's in my
datasheet or my word document.

Any pointers?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

255 sounds like a very "computer" number

Yes, it does.

The main possibility is that in the problem column, none of the first 8
texts is over 255 characters long. In that case, the OLE DB provider
that Word uses to get data from Excel will truncate all the texts in the
column to 255.

Although it's a pain to have to do it, if you can make one of the first
8 cells in the column longer than 255 characters, that /may/ fix the
problem.

There's more info. about this kind of problem at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm

However, there may well be circumstances where this kind of problem
occurs that I have not described there - e.g. there might be additional
problems if you have many columns with large texts.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 02/11/2009 15:36, Nit_Wit_400 wrote:
I'm using Office 2003 Excel as a database to merge into a Office 2003
Word document.

My mergefields are all fairly large, and all but one of them are
allowing all the characters to be merged (some are upwards of 1000
characters)

The one that isn't merging all the characters is only allowing 255
(with spaces) -- no matter what I put in the cell... It's really
annoying. 255 sounds like a very "computer" number, so I'm not really
sure where to look for this type of problem, whether it's in my
datasheet or my word document.

Any pointers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nit_Wit_400 Nit_Wit_400 is offline

On Nov 2, 12:20*pm, Peter Jamieson
wrote:

Although it's a pain to have to do it, if you can make one of the first
8 cells in the column longer than 255 characters, that /may/ fix the
problem.

The first cell in that column has about 30 characters, and the second
has A LOT of characters -- it is the cell being pulled. The following
cells in that column contain IF statements -- For example:AZ3= IF
(Sheet1!B29 = Yes,AZ4,AZ5); AZ6= IF (Sheet1!C29= Yes,AZ7,AZ5) ... and
so on and so forth.... AZ5 contains the "No" statement and every third
cell has the "Yes" Statement. AZ2 is the cell where I'm calling the
10 IF cells below it.

I hope this information helps.

However, there may well be circumstances where this kind of problem
occurs that I have not described there - e.g. there might be additional
problems if you have many columns with large texts.

In my data sheet, I have Columns A through BS filled with data. I
want to say about half of them are HUGE ("them" being the cells from
which the information is being pulled). The one's that aren't HUGE
are fairly small... no more than 20 or 30 characters.

It's just odd to me that the problem cell is the only one that's doing
this.

In my Word document, the very NEXT field has 1050 characters, and it
merges with no problems.

The site you mentioned seems very helpful, except for my problem
doesn't fit into any of those criteria mentioned. For instance, I'm
pulling my data from Sheet2 of the workbook.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nit_Wit_400 Nit_Wit_400 is offline

Mr. Jamieson,

Thank you so much for your help, your hint lead me to the solution.

I moved the cell that was being pulled to a different column
altogether, and kept it linked to what was below it. Problem solved.

Again, thank you so much for pointing out something I would have never
found myself.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Actually, I think you solved it yourself!

However, using formulas in Excel fields definitely also affects what
Word 'sees" in some cases - another thing I should really add to my article.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk