Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

Default Word 2007 crashes on recipient sort

While teaching myself mail merges in Word I created a Word document
containing a simple 4 row table with 3 addresses and a header row. When I
click on Edit Recipie nt List, select Sort, and sort by zip, the dialog box
shows the records as sorted. Exiting back to Word, Word crashes after 2nd
OK. The following Event is recorded

Faulting application winword.exe, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64d22,
faulting module wwlib.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64e1b, debug? 0,
fault address 0x000bc16e.

The error has occurred with two different Word data source documents.
Office has SP2.

Any clues?

George
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

More info:

On a different machine, tried the same procedure in Word 2003. The merge
proceeded properly. I then tried using either the "letter" or the data
source or both from 2003 in 2007. In all cases the merge failed with a crash
of Word. My conclusion is that the crash is not dependent on the docx format.

George

"GeoBrooks" wrote:

While teaching myself mail merges in Word I created a Word document
containing a simple 4 row table with 3 addresses and a header row. When I
click on Edit Recipie nt List, select Sort, and sort by zip, the dialog box
shows the records as sorted. Exiting back to Word, Word crashes after 2nd
OK. The following Event is recorded

Faulting application winword.exe, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64d22,
faulting module wwlib.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64e1b, debug? 0,
fault address 0x000bc16e.

The error has occurred with two different Word data source documents.
Office has SP2.

Any clues?

George

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi GeoBrooks,

Have you tried repairing your Word installation (Word Options|Resources|Diagnose)?

--
Cheers
macropod

"GeoBrooks" wrote in message ...
While teaching myself mail merges in Word I created a Word document
containing a simple 4 row table with 3 addresses and a header row. When I
click on Edit Recipie nt List, select Sort, and sort by zip, the dialog box
shows the records as sorted. Exiting back to Word, Word crashes after 2nd
OK. The following Event is recorded

Faulting application winword.exe, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64d22,
faulting module wwlib.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64e1b, debug? 0,
fault address 0x000bc16e.

The error has occurred with two different Word data source documents.
Office has SP2.

Any clues?

George

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

I'd run the diagnostics - no effect. Nothing was found during the
diagnostics and no change to the crash behavior. My next step is to try to
reproduce the error in the student lab/classroom on Monday.

Is it safe to say a Word table _should_ work as a data source that can be
sorted?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi GeoBrooks,

Have you tried repairing your Word installation (Word Options|Resources|Diagnose)?

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi GeoBrooks,

Provided the table is properly formed (eg no merged, split or nested cells), I don't see why there'd be any problem. Of course, it's
possible some corruption in the source table or the source document generally might cause the crash.

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote:

Hi GeoBrooks,

Have you tried repairing your Word installation (Word Options|Resources|Diagnose)?

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

FWIW `I have not been able to reproduce this here either
on
a. Word 2007 SP2 12.0.6504.5000 (32-bit on Vista 32-bit)
b. Word 2003 on Win XP.

Since you are having difficulty on two machines with two different
versions of Word none of the "possible" explanations I have seems likely
- however,
a. if your data files are on a network drive, try using a local drive
(data sources on network drives can cause problems with Word 2007)
b. one of the things that office repair does not do is fix a corrupt
Word "data key" in the Wondows registry. In Word 2007 this key is quite
easily damaged if Word is running when an automated update is applied -
I saw fewer problems with Word 2003. Damage does not necessarily mean
that Word fails altogether. An article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541
gives instructions on saving/deleting this key.
c. a problem in the data is always possible, as macropod says. Do
sorts on other columns work OK? What data is in your ZIP field?

Sometimes "it works for most people but not for person X" comes down to
a different sequence of steps, but it does not sound as if you are doing
anything unusual.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 21/11/2009 14:16, GeoBrooks wrote:
While teaching myself mail merges in Word I created a Word document
containing a simple 4 row table with 3 addresses and a header row. When I
click on Edit Recipie nt List, select Sort, and sort by zip, the dialog box
shows the records as sorted. Exiting back to Word, Word crashes after 2nd
OK. The following Event is recorded

Faulting application winword.exe, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64d22,
faulting module wwlib.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d64e1b, debug? 0,
fault address 0x000bc16e.

The error has occurred with two different Word data source documents.
Office has SP2.

Any clues?

George

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

Peter,

The crash only occurs in 2007. In Word 2003, sorting the data source table
does not cause any trouble. And when I use '03's table in '07 I get a crash
so it's not the data source document causing the trouble.

For my box I think all I can do is try a reinstall. Or just not demonstrate
sorting tables in a merge using my laptop!

Thanks all.

George

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

The culprit: Google Desktop Add-in. Once removed, the data source sort no
longer crashes. Gee, do Google & Microsoft not get along?

"GeoBrooks" wrote:

Peter,

The crash only occurs in 2007. In Word 2003, sorting the data source table
does not cause any trouble. And when I use '03's table in '07 I get a crash
so it's not the data source document causing the trouble.

For my box I think all I can do is try a reinstall. Or just not demonstrate
sorting tables in a merge using my laptop!

Thanks all.

George

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

:-) Makes you wonder - thanks for posting back.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk