Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MBurns MBurns is offline

Default Barcode Syntax

Can someone give me the coding for placing a Postnet barcode in a word
document? These are the merge fields I am using

FIRST_NAME
LAST_NAME
MADDRESS
MCITY
MSTATE
MZIP

Thanks,

Mike Burns
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290

However, if you still want to do it, there are detailed instructions at:

http://www.taltech.com/resources/intro_to_bc/Merge.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"MBurns" wrote in message
Can someone give me the coding for placing a Postnet barcode in a word
document? These are the merge fields I am using

FIRST_NAME
LAST_NAME
MADDRESS
MCITY
MSTATE
MZIP

Thanks,

Mike Burns

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
shochberg[_2_] shochberg[_2_] is offline

Hi Mike,

There are actually several different sets of requirements depending on what
kind of mail you are sending. Are you doing bulk mail, business reply,
something else?

Scott Hochberg
Postage Saver Software
savepostage.com

"MBurns" wrote:

Can someone give me the coding for placing a Postnet barcode in a word
document? These are the merge fields I am using

FIRST_NAME
LAST_NAME
MADDRESS
MCITY
MSTATE
MZIP

Thanks,

Mike Burns

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MBurns MBurns is offline

We are preparing the letters for bulk mail. Just trying to drop the barcode
in for our customer.

"MBurns" wrote:

Can someone give me the coding for placing a Postnet barcode in a word
document? These are the merge fields I am using

FIRST_NAME
LAST_NAME
MADDRESS
MCITY
MSTATE
MZIP

Thanks,

Mike Burns

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As indicated in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290, it will not save you
anything.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

news

"MBurns" wrote:

Can someone give me the coding for placing a Postnet barcode in a word
document? These are the merge fields I am using

FIRST_NAME
LAST_NAME
MADDRESS
MCITY
MSTATE
MZIP

Thanks,

Mike Burns

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
shochberg shochberg is offline

OK, then for bulk mail you need to have "cass-certified" zip+4 codes.
In other words, your customer has to be able to show the USPS that the
zip+4s from which the barcodes are created have come from software
that matches the addresses to a current copy of the USPS master zip+4
file. So your customer needs to tell you if they have that. If they
do, there will be a field called the delivery point code, which is two
digits that you need beyond the zip+4, which also comes from the cass
process. If you have all that, and a Postnet barcode font, you can do
it pretty easily. See our help site at www.bulkmail.info/barcode.html
for the code format.

If they have not had their list cass-certified, there are companies
that will do that for you for about $20 minimum charge. (see
www.bulkmail.info/cass.html for some links). The software to do it
yourself is expensive, like $600-$1000/yr. because it has to include a
subscription to the USPS data base.

So for this to be worthwhile, you need enough pieces in the mailing
for the cass cost to be less than the barcoding savings. Assuming you
are talking about letters, the savings are anywhere from less than a
penny to about 2.5 cents per piece (in addition to what you save by
sorting, etc.) The barcoding is optional and not required for bulk
mailing.

Hope that helps.

Scott Hochberg
Postage Saver Software
savepostage.com

"MBurns" wrote:

Can someone give me the coding for placing a Postnet barcode in a word
document? *These are the merge fields I am using

FIRST_NAME
LAST_NAME
MADDRESS
MCITY
MSTATE
MZIP

Thanks,

Mike Burns- Hide quoted text -

Hyperlink syntax AlecJames Microsoft Word Help 1 June 27th 09 02:07 PM
Syntax alex Mailmerge 3 November 28th 07 07:09 AM
syntax errors LW Microsoft Word Help 6 August 9th 07 06:23 AM
Find syntax for /*..........*/ ? Tadwick Microsoft Word Help 2 December 1st 06 04:31 AM
Macro Syntax GregR New Users 2 May 2nd 05 06:43 PM