Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Fredrated Fredrated is offline

Default How do I request mail merge data?

I know this is a basic question, but I just cannot follow microsoft
documentation.

I have created a mail-merge document.
I open the document in Word.

Now, how do I request the data from the spreadsheet I used as the data
source when creating the mail merge fields? I am hoping I can request just 1
line of data, and then save the document with the address etc. data inserted.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That is not really the way in which mailmerge is intended to be used (hence
it is not something that is really covered by the documentation)

There are a couple of ways of doing it:

If you know the record number of the record that you want to merge, you can
execute the merge to a new document (by using the "Edit Individual Letters"
facility in the final step of the merge process and then specifying the
number of that record in the dialog that comes up asking you if you want to
merge all of the records or the numbers of the records that you want to
merge.

If you preview the results using the ABC button and when the data from
the record that you want is displayed, press Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+Shift+F9
and then save the document USING FILE SAVEAS AND GIVE IT A DIFFERENT NAME
AND THEN CHANGE THE TYPE OF DOCUMENT TO A NORMAL WORD DOCUMENT. You must do
that because the Ctrl+Shift+F9 will convert the merge fields to ordinary
text (i.e. DESTROY them).

A better option would be to create a template with a combobox or listbox to
display the data and from which you can select the record that you want and
then click on a button to transfer that data into the document created from
the template.

See the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

and the following pages of fellow MVP Greg Maxey's website :

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm

--
Hope this helps.